oem reinstall

kakellie 22:39 18 Aug 04

i have a time pc i want to do a clean installation as i refuse to pay £59.99 for a recovery cd can i borough a mates windows xpcd and do this i have a totally legit activation code that is stuck on to the side of my time pc

Forum Editor 00:06 19 Aug 04

The 'totally legit' activation key is for your computer and your OEM copy of WindowsXP. OEM software is licenced for the machine on which it's installed, and you can't use another activation key. Borrowing your mate's copy of Windows XP is illegal, so don't do it.

All the Windows files will be on a hidden partition on your hard drive, and you can do a restor from there. This will return the machine to its factory configurations, so make sure you back up any important data files, and that you have the drivers for any hardware items that you've added since you bought the computer.

When the computer is booting do you have the option to enter the machine into recovery mode? Some manufacturers offer this option instead of a recovery CD.

BIG ben strikes 10 08:59 19 Aug 04

what happens if you installed a windows XP copy onto your computer.and then your hardisk broke.could you install windows again on that computer?.thanks.ben

ventanas 10:45 19 Aug 04

If the drive had a hidden partiton as described above by the FE, then you would probably have to go to the original vendor for a replacement, which would also have this same hidden partition. Any other drive would probably not work. You would also pay a lot more for it.

This is the reason why, despite what is supplied with my home machines, I always buy a retail copy of the OS and ditch the OEM. Costs a bit, but saves a lot of bother.

Computertask 11:23 19 Aug 04

If you have a Valid COA (certificate of authenticity) sticker on your machine then you can use any disk (with a copy of the O/S you have purchsed) you like as this is just media.

Your licence to use the software is the COA Sticker and as long as it was supplied with your machine and only activated by you on this one machine you can use anybody's CD for the O/S for which the COA belongs to reload it.

Hope this helps.

kakellie 23:20 19 Aug 04

thanks but on time pc theres no harddrive recovery but i do have a legal copy of xp and all i want to do is do have my pc running as it was when i bought it and i dont want to line Mr Times pocket when i have already paid for a xp license im not trying to sell it i could buy a xp version from with key from my local carboot but why should i be punished for the tune of £59.95 for a reinstallation which i should aleady have

Forum Editor 23:52 19 Aug 04

"...you can use anybody's CD for the O/S for which the COA belongs to reload it"

Oh no you can't.

OEM software is part of the machine on which it was originaly installed, and the COA is your licence to use that copy of the software on that machine. To suggest that you could use the COA as authority to install software from any CD with the same operating system is totally misleading - OEM software licences are for the software copy that's installed on the machine when it's purchased, and the life of the licence is the life of the machine. Once the computer ceases to exist the licence ceases to exist.

Just so we're clear kakellie:-

You may not use anyone else's WindowsXP CD to install the software on your computer using the certificate that's stuck onto your case. If you do you'll find that the Windows activation procedure will fail.

Forum Editor 00:00 20 Aug 04

When you bought the computer you were presumably influenced - at least in part - by the price. Part of the mix that went to make up the product cost was the fact that there was no Windows XP CD included,, and you must have been aware of this at the time.

With respect it's a little harsh to complain "why should i be punished for the tune of £59.95 for a reinstallation which i should aleady have"

You do already have the installation don't you? It's you that wants to do a clean reinstall after all, and £60 or thereabouts is hardly an exorbitant price for a new licence for a major operating system. You wouldn't exactly be going to "line Mr Times pocket" either - Time staff won't be going for an office outing on the proceeds of that sale.

That Bloke 02:09 20 Aug 04

Kakellie is perfectly entitled to use any copy of the Windows XP OEM media that he/she wants to.

If kakellie has a friend who has an OEM Windows XP disk, it WILL work, and no rules are being broken.

The licence is associated with the COA, not the disk, and so long as the key that is attached to the machine is used, there is no problem whatsoever. This is why Microsoft supply media packs which come with no licence.

Forum Editor 07:05 20 Aug 04

Unfortunately you appear not to have read what kakellie said, and you have also failed to read what I said.

kakellie said: "can i borough a mates windows xpcd" Notice there's no mention of OEM there?

I said: "No, you can't." Which was (and is) perfectly correct.

Subsequently Computertask said: "If you have a Valid COA (certificate of authenticity) sticker on your machine then you can use any disk (with a copy of the O/S you have purchsed) you like as this is just media." which is incorrect - you can't use any disk with Windows XP on it.

I replied: "...to suggest that you could use the COA as authority to install software from any CD with the same operating system is totally misleading" Which is perfectly correct.

The COA is the licence to use that OEM copy of Windows XP on that single machine - and that's all. That's the whole idea of the OEM software licencing system.

ventanas 08:34 20 Aug 04

Why don't people listen. The FE is absolutely correct in what he is saying. I have no idea where some of these ideas come from.

It is about time that Microsoft published clearly the rules covering OEM versions of Windows, perhaps with copies of the software, as so many uninformed views seem to exist. I know this is included in the terms of the licence agreement, but probably very few read these. A separate document with a bold heading might do the trick.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…