o2 at it again.

Thomo1 00:40 23 Nov 04

Just to let you know.

Over 50 people who i work with is has been scammed by a scam that is attacking o2 at the moment.
Messages are being sent to o2 users claiming they can get free ringtones and wallpapers.
These messages are being sent without warning or "invitation" and many people i know have been charged 1.50GBP per "premium" message.
The message is a link for a download but i myself have never accessed the link but still have an unknown number of premium messages on my phone bill.
It looks as though you are being charged for recieving the message even though you dont want it.
Dont know how wide spread this is but its hit people who i know and work with over the last 3 weeks.

Salinger 00:44 23 Nov 04

Your heading "o2 at it again." is somewhat misleading, it looks like you are putting the blame for this "scam" squarely onto o2.

georgemac 07:46 23 Nov 04

Premium Text Messaging - Not Happy with this

I have 2 kids who have mobile phones. I am forever harping on at them never to put their number into a webpage offering something for free or reply to a text with similar offerings.
My son recently downloaded a text message which he paid £1.50 for - he never realised this was also a subscription for 1 ringtone every week for £1.50 - his money ran out and when I topped it up with a tenner - zap - right down to £6. I managed to find it and unsubscribe.

Last Friday we were in the car on the way home from a trip to the city. Beep, he got a quiz question which charged him £1.50 - 88600 - I said I'd have a look when we got home but I forgot. First thing Saturday morning another question at a cost of £1.50. I sent a stop text to the number but the report never said delivered, only pending.

Had a look at the ICSTIS website and this is what it said.

"If you are receiving chargeable text messages that you want to cancel, you must contact your mobile phone company, give them this shortcode number and request the contact details of the company responsible for the messages you are receiving. You should then contact that company and request to be removed from their database. All company information regarding the shortcodes are held by your mobile phone provider - it is their responsibility to ensure that these details are provided to you on request. Any cancellation request submitted to us will not be responded to."

So I emailed O2 informing them of what happened and asked them to provide the company details ao I could contact them - as outlined by ICSTIS.

Give O2 their due I got this reply today and my sons credit has increased but not by the £3 (I never asked for a refund).

"Thank you for your enquiry.

The alerts that you have been receiving, have been sent to you by a third party company and not from O2.

However, I have made a note of the mobile number and have requested that the alerts be terminated.

The cancellation of the alerts from the third party company may take up to 5 days to action. If the alerts continue after this period, please reply to this email and we will investigate further."

They have stopped but why would they not give me contact details for the company?

Anyway, speaking to other parents, many of us are in the same boat, and I believe there should be some sort of preference service where I could bar my number being subscribed to premium rate services. What do others think?

I wrote to my MP on this matter and he forwarded my vies to Ofcom - will anything happen - I very much doubt it.

georgemac 19:15 23 Nov 04

from grumletext website

Mobile phone company O2 suggests that mobile uses register their telephone number with the Telephone Preference Service (TPS). It's illegal to make a direct marketing call or to send marketing SMS to any number after 28 days from the time it is registered with the TPS. You can register by calling 0845 070 0707 or at click here.

full article click here

Dorsai 19:28 23 Nov 04

It's illegal to make a direct marketing call or to send marketing SMS to any number after 28 days from the time it is registered with the TPS.

Thats OK, and a step in the right direction, But you are still at risk for 28 days. Given that it's all computerised, why does it take 28 days. This message, that i type now, takes about 3 seconds to arrive.

And as soon as it arrives on the server, it it there for all to see. No 28 day delay.

march 18:32 25 Nov 04

is there anyway of knowing the phone number before you access the message?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…