O2 Billing Problem

oresome 21:40 10 Oct 04

Not directly computer related, but may be of interest to some.

My daughter is in the middle of dispute with O2

She purchased a phone last December on a tariff that included X minutes of voice calls and 500 text messages per month.

She has been direct debited approx £25 per month, since, until the August bill, which was for £125.

The itemised bill is only available on-line, but she has never been able to access this from day one despite protracted e-mails.

She is texted the DD amount each month prior to actioning, so promptly put a stop to it, believing it to be wrong and likely to make her overdrawn.

E mails and letters have since gone unanswered.

Reluctantly, she phoned the expensive customer service number today at 50p per minute to try and resolve the issue, having received a threat of court action.

She didn't get anywhere with the dispute, but has since been able for the first time to view the itemised monthly bills on-line.

Here we find that for several months, she has not been billed for any text messages. Then they all appear on one months bill, exceeding that months inclusive 500 texts by a thousand or more. Hence the £100 unexpected bill.

A reasonable person would surely expect the texts to be billed the month after being made and fall within that months inclusive number where appropriate, but O2 are having none of it and are proceeding with legal action.

Voice calls have all been billed as expected, the month after being made. O2 admit they have had a system failure regarding the text billing.

Another letter is on it's way this evening, but if we get the same response, we may get our day in court.

spuds 23:16 10 Oct 04

Another o2 billing problem click here

spuds 23:24 10 Oct 04

Wrong link, try click here

Forum Editor 23:44 10 Oct 04

is the complaints resolution service:

0113 388 6159

Your daughter will obviously have to pay for any text messages that she sent in excess of the monthly limit, but I see no reason why she should pay because of an O2 system failure. Stopping a direct debit is not really a good thing to do, it's far better to contact the company and negotiate. It won't be the first time they've had it happen, and it won't be the last.

oresome 18:25 17 Oct 04

Update.

My daughter has just received an email from O2 apologising for their error.

They have recalculated the bill, allocating the text messages to the correct allowance period and find that they have overcharged by £81.34 plus vat.

They are offering a further credit of £10.00 as a gesture of goodwill.

Providing the phone is reconnected at no cost and she is not charged for the month it's been cut off, the matter will be closed, although the contract will not be renewed following the 12 month initial period.

oresome 19:30 19 Oct 04

Paying the outstanding amount and getting the phone reconnected has not proved easy.

My daughter rang the number given in the letter on Sunday. The credit control department was closed on Sundays. Fair enough.

She rang Monday and the representative could do nothing as the "system was down".

She has rung again tonight and the phone was eventually answered, but the rep could not undertake the required action and transfered her to anothe number. This was answered after a few minutes and the rep asked if it was a shop account or internet account.

Internet account, the daughter says. Oh, you have been transfered to the wrong number, I cannot help you, I deal only with shop accounts.

The suggestion was to ring customer service at 50p a minute.

She has instead posted a cheque for the full and final payment of the account.

She has also received today a reply to the first letter she wrote some time ago. (She had complained of being unable to access her internet account, although this had been recified in the meanime after a phone call to customer services.)

The letter provides new log-in details and by separate cover, a new password.

Needless to say, neither the old or new log-in details are now recognised and she has concluded she is better terminating the contract.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…