O2 Again.

morddwyd 16:21 06 Nov 10

Although I have now finished with O2 (broadband only, no problems with my mobile phone service) after the issues I have posted here and elsewhere, I find they are still charging me, even though my new ISP connected me over a month ago.

When I asked them why they refused to answer because I didn't ask from an O2 e-mail address although the address I used is the one I normally use, and is the one registered with them.

Having found and used an address they allocated me when I joined them some fifteen months ago, they replied (to my normal e-mail address, the one they have been using for the last fifteen months, so they know it's mine) that while they had issued a MAC at the beginning of September, "you failed to inform us about the usage of the MAC code by you. This is the reason your account
is still active with us. "

Is it up to me to tell them that I've activated the MAC? Doesn't the new ISP do this? Isn't this the idea of a MAC in the first place? Isn't this why they sent me packaging to return the router, and acknowledged receipt of same?

I've certainly never had to do this before.

Even now they have refused to cancel the account unless I do so by telephone, which disability makes increasingly difficult.

Easy enough to cancel the Direct Debit of course, but OFCOM are supposed to be making changing ISPs easy.

Forum Editor 18:22 06 Nov 10

that an ISP must not disconnect you, simply because you request a MAC. Your new ISP will start providing a service, but it's up to you to terminate the contract with )2, and until you do so they'll keep charging.

morddwyd 19:37 06 Nov 10

Thank you.

I was not aware of that. As I said I've never had to do it before.

I must say that I would have thought that sending back the router would have been a pretty strong hint!

Now all I have to do is persuade them to accept e-mails!

Forum Editor 00:33 07 Nov 10

that you weren't aware of any need for you to do anything - many people aren't, and for that reason OFCOM asked all ISPs to be as helpful as possible in assisting people through the transfer process. There's a code of practice, and in a perfect world your new ISP would notify the previous provider when the transfer has taken place, and arrange for your previous provider to stop debiting your account.

A code of practice is just that however, and not all ISPs adhere to all of its provisions all of the time. For that reason you should deal with the termination of your previous contract yourself.

spuds 10:27 07 Nov 10

I know this is perhaps off subject, but I believe by previous comments that you and your wife are classed as disabled.

It may pay for you to know that Ofcom have recently conducted some investigations into ISP and mobile phone companies in respect of Communications Act 2003, and they found that some of the companies were not giving the expected services in providing information to disabled people under that Act.

It might perhaps be in your interest to see if by notifying these, and any other company that you or your wife are disabled. This might or should improve the services being provided to you, especially in obtaining correct and helpful information. Ofcom have stated that any "provider in breach of their obligations" could be fined 10% of their turnover, and Ofcom intend taking further action if matters do not improve.

morddwyd 19:54 07 Nov 10

Thanks for the advice.

The only area of my problem where disability would be relevant would be in them insisting on the use of the telephone, which I find increasingly difficult (my hearing is OK, but my physical dexterity is failing0.

I have already informed O2 of this and await their response before deciding whether to involve the Equality Commission (rather than OFCOM).

I'm reluctant to play the disability card unless it is really relevant to the basic problem.

The criterion is, or should be, - is an able bodied person getting better treatment? No they're not, except on the phone issue.

morddwyd 19:22 21 Nov 10

Update - O2 flatly refuse to accept cancellation by e-mail, and insist it must be done by phone.

I've explained that I have a disability and they said that in that case I must get someone to call on my behalf.

I now believe that they are failing to make reasonable allowance for my disability , so will be seeking advice from the Equality Commissioner.

I'll post further.

rdave13 19:30 21 Nov 10

I am very surprised to hear of a company that will accept cancellation of a contract, via telephone, through someone acting on behalf of the customer?
Usually when this it tried it is flatly refused as the customer, in person, is usually required to answer security questions to enable cancellation.

spuds 19:43 21 Nov 10

This whole affair is becoming pathetic, I wonder if 02 would tell Ofcom or the Equality Commissioner that they will only accept phone calls. Sending written correspondence is a sure way of keeping copies of events, isn't it?.

But having stated that, my ISP Tiscali, now TalkTalk have asked me to contact them about a matter on their 087 numbers. Perhaps more profit for them and more expense for the customer?.

When will it ever end?.

morddwyd 20:01 27 Nov 10

Final update - Following my last post I sent O2 a registered letter, advising them that I had instructed my bank to cease Direct Debit payments, and advising them that I would be making a formal complaint to the Equalkity Commission

I have just had an e-mail from O2 advising me of the cessation of my broadband service.

rdave13 20:13 27 Nov 10

Glad you are sorted. Pity it was so complicated to end a contract.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple