NTL price increase for broadband

Rual 22:36 29 Apr 03

Signed up 6 weeks ago for NTL telephone line and 128k broadband for £25 a month, minimum contract 12 months.Three days ago had a letter from NTL saying the broadband was going up by £3 pounds a month from the 1st May.Rang NTL to say the price increase didn't apply to me as I'd agreed a price of £25 a month for a year and they couldn't suddenly move the goalposts.They replied "yes it did and yes they could"
First time I've heard of a one way contract!Have taken the matter up with OFTEL who say they will investigate and call me back in a few days.
Will let you know the result.

Sion 22:49 29 Apr 03

They are upping the connection speeds of their 128K service if thats any consolation. You'll now be on 150K. Small consolation, but i'm sure that its in the small print somewhere on allowing them to change their prices.

spuds 22:54 29 Apr 03

This type of thing is just the beginning.Eventually it will effect quite a number of people, who jumped at the chance of obtaining broadband at a reasonable price.All these free connection and free modem offers, have to be paid for, and that can only be the customer in the end, who as to pay for it.

britto 22:58 29 Apr 03

Had the same letter,if you read the smallprint you can cancel your agreement, i think at a months notice. but must agree if signing for 12 mths the price should stay the same.

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:08 30 Apr 03

NTL are losing money like there is no tomorrow. Their TV and internet services simply make nothing. They have to redress this situation or they go bust (again). This will probably be the first of many increases.

G

Muzziad 12:12 30 Apr 03

I can see why they're losing money, the way they are doing things. A few weeks ago i dropped my home 1mb connection, seems no point having one if they are going to have restrictions on usage. I now do most of my 'high bandwidth' web usage at work.

I can't say i'll miss their home service even if they do go bust. The way NTL have handled things, customers in particular, i'll not mourn their passing.

vienna1981 12:29 30 Apr 03

I don't have NTL broadband, but I do have NTL dial-up and digital TV. I used to get the dial-up for free but this was increased to £5 per month a year ago, then increased again to £10 per month in January, I feel as if the more I've paid for their service the worse it gets! Also their digital TV crashes a lot. If they wish to make more money then they should start to actually improve their services instead of increasing the price of them but doing nothing to improve anything. This would keep existing customers and bring in new ones who would've heard about a good service instead of a bad one, a lot of my friends are willing to pay extra for BT or AOL broadband as they have gotten fed up with a failing NTL service.

Coaster3 13:58 30 Apr 03

I've just had my NTL BB Bill. Enclosed was a pamphlet showing all the NTL packages and prices.

The only price increase was on the 128 BB service which has been upgraded to 150k. Everything else remains the same.

Rayuk 17:34 30 Apr 03

Not sure whether you have the TV as well but some of the packages have gone up by £1.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:49 30 Apr 03

'A few weeks ago i dropped my home 1mb connection, seems no point having one if they are going to have restrictions on usage'...you download more than 1gb a day? /me looks amazed.

G

Rual 21:13 30 Apr 03

Have just received a letter from NTL. I quote
"Re.OFTEL complaint.
I am writing to acknowledge your recent query concerning the problems you have experienced with ntl:home.
Within 20 working days of receipt of your letter a member of my team will undertake an investigation into the issues you have raised and will contact you with a proposed resolution shortly.
Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention,we are grateful for all the feedback we receive from our customers.

Yours sincerely " unquote

Perhaps NTL should join the forum .I'm sure they will get as much feedback as they want.
I'll let you know what happens next.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…