NTL poor service

obbit 18:43 23 Sep 03

in the past i have said NTL broadband is good. well, most of the time it is good but when there is a fault it takes dynamite to get them moving or at least to get them to admit there is a fault. they tell you to contact braodband support at Swansea. thats a task in it's self, at least an hour job just to get throught to speak to someone.

i keep getting error message "cannot find server" or "no page to display" try another web site and thats ok go back to first site same error messages again. try a lot later and it will open.

i have just spent 25minutes trying to open my webmail page still will not open. just after the schools finish for the day and all the kids get home and switch on the games consoles and pc's is when the service degrades into the state of complete gridlock. still i suppose thats normal.

i have asked them if after a fortnight of error messages i am liable for the full months charge. they replied by directing me to broadband support "as this does not mean a network fault" and, "using Internet explorer 6 with OS other than windows xp may be a problem". next they will be telling me i have an airlock.

if you are thinking of subscribing to NTL be prepared for slow browsing. they know that browser speed is an issue with users as they get a lot of complaints.

Alan Ryan 20:05 23 Sep 03

If you don't mind spending about an hour waiting to speak to one of their "busy advisors", I find that they are helpful and competent. It's difficult to keep your temper though when you've sat through their idiotic messages and music (that you're paying to listen to) before getting someone on your case. At least they charge local rates for the phone call.

Chris the Ancient 20:19 23 Sep 03

0800 052 2000 - it's free!

I've used it a couple of times with no probs

Alan Ryan 20:26 23 Sep 03

But do they offer technical advice on that line, or is it just a cosmetic service with chat about how to pay your bill etc. ?

Coaster3 21:38 23 Sep 03

If you have their phone just dial 150 and ask to be put through. Any queries - play dumb.

Tim1964 21:54 23 Sep 03

Must be something definately up with NTL tonight as there is another thread running 'BB speed test, is this right'

Their server status states that they have been doing major maintenance this morning over about 1000 square miles of network!!

I admit that I too am getting fed up with this as sometimes it's like being on dial-up again.....

Wouldn't it be great if they had a presence on this forum (well, admitted it anyway) that would get the victims, I mean customers going wild.

dfghjkl 22:20 23 Sep 03

have you got kazaa or morpheus?

Tim1964 22:37 23 Sep 03

No I haven't and I have run Adawre tonight, thanks.

'It' appears to be back up to speed now, well until tomorrow afternoon anyway.

Maybe all of us disgruntled NTL victims should band together, rise up and issue a collective.........sigh in NTL's general direction, that'll show 'em.

keith-236785 22:56 23 Sep 03

perhaps some of you have forgotten what dial up is like, i had up to last weekend when i was "fixing" a friends computer.

i had to format and re-install windows then check everything was working, set up the internet and e-mail.

this computer is on dial up with blueyonder, it had been offline for about a week.

i got it connected and when i ran outlook express (that was a mistake, i should have let them do it) 116 e-mails took 26 minutes to transfer.......thank god im on NTL 150k broadband.

i still think its slow at times but all i do now is remember last saturday.

Tim1964 23:13 23 Sep 03

I am surprised the Advertising Standards Authority haven't looked into BB adverts as terms such as "pages load instantly" (yeah from the cache they do) and "full screen movies" (at 320X240 pixels) are pushing it a bit.

I appreciate that not all can sample the wonders of BB, BUT we are paying for it after all.

How many pints of milk/beer would you continue to buy if the quantity varied each time fron nearly full to 1/3 full for the same price?

obbit 14:56 24 Sep 03

i don't have kazaa or morpheus.

it's NTL BB "pipe". it's almost full with everyone trying to use it at the same time.

they still keep recruiting new customers. i suppose theres no hope of any improvement until enough customers complain. it's all down to money again. yes i know they are in financial scrapes and they have to make a profit.

i can remember dial-up i wouldn't go back to that. it seems that the same faults happen every so often, browsing speeds, email down etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…