Ntl and Linksys Wireless Router

vandango 22:26 15 Aug 05

I am trying to connent a laptop to a linksys wireless router then an ntl cable modem. The wireless card and router are working fine, but the router won't seem to connect to the cable modem then the internet. does anyone know what i need to do to configure the router or solve the problem?

Tim1964 23:53 15 Aug 05

Have you tried connecting the lappy by wire method first? This will bypass any wireless encryption issues.

I'm also running through a Linksys router and NTL SACM but to be honest I didn't use/need the included software.

If you power down the PC, modem and router, then Switch on the modem.
Leave for Sync and ready lights to stay on.
Switch on router (till lights stable.
Power on PC.

Then Power off everything, then connect the lappy wirelessly and power up again.

You should find the connection has been made (as if by magic) The only net connection problems I had was when it came to the SSID and WEP stuff.

Good luck.

vandango 00:16 16 Aug 05

tried with a wire and still nothing. it was a friend i was trying to help out. i've mentioned suggested to do what you said tim we shall see . . . .

vandango 00:17 16 Aug 05

tried with a wire and still nothing. it was a friend i was trying to help out. i've mentioned suggested to do what you said tim we shall see . . . .

ajm 00:14 17 Aug 05

a similar setup was done for somone who has Telewest BlueYonder. 3 hours later and loads of pulling hair, i found out that the MAC Adress of the wireless router had to be registered with Blueyonder. Once that was done, all was OK in 10-20 minutes ( it can sometimes take upto 24 hours)

Also hope that the wireless router you are using does NOT have a adsl modem built in.

vandango 16:43 17 Aug 05

The router doesn't have a modem built in (my friend who i was helping made that mistake previously!)

Anyway its all sorted know, the powering everything off trick worked a treat thanks alot Tim, thanks for your advice too ajm

SEASHANTY 20:06 17 Aug 05

Cable modem troubleshooting tips

click here

rober32 17:52 14 Oct 05

you will need to set up MAC address cloning on the router to use the MAC address of the original PC that connects to NTL

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…