NTL Home Broadband. They are blocking Ports!

freaky 19:17 18 Mar 05

Announcement from NTL:-

Following last month's decision to block 'port 135', ntl:home is blocking more Internet ports to reduce the threat of the new virulent worms that may use these ports to spread across the Internet.

We are blocking Internet ports 137 (UDP), 138 (UDP), 139 (TCP), 445 (UDP & TCP), 593 (TCP), 1433 (TCP), 1434 (UDP) and 27374 (TCP) Inbound only. This enables us to stop the spread of the virus, while still attempting to direct any customers with the virus infection to special websites to help them "clean" their computer

I have anti-virus software installed, can you leave these Internet ports open? This isn't possible, although there is little use for these ports being open anyway. They are mostly used by businesses, and as this is a service for residential customers, there should be little or no requirement for it. It will also mean that your connection is protected against worms spreading over these ports, even if your anti-virus software is not fully up to date (although we always recommend that you keep it as up to date as possible). Will this change fix my computer if it is infected? No. This will only stop worms from spreading over these ports. If your computer has already been infected with a worm, then you will need to "clean" it of the worm. For more information on this see Virus Information pages on click here.

As a result of the above measures, I and a considerable number of my colleagues who use NTL to contact our employer via their Web Site, are now no longer able to open certain Web Pages.

It's causing us no end of problems as we cannot download certain information from the site.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…