NTL Helpdesk

pj123 15:13 31 Oct 03

NTL Broadband at 600kbs I currently have a problem with my NTL Broadband service, I can send emails but I cannot receive emails. I have been trying for the last two days to ring the helpdesk to no avail. I have just tried again and get a recorded message that says "The current wait time is 30 minutes"???

With that amount of callers to the helpdesk is it time to pack up? I seem to remember an ad on the television some time ago showing a helpdesk telephone covered in cobwebs because they didn't have any problems so no one was ringing?? Remember it? I won't mention that company, but it would be nice to get through to someone fairly quickly. I have checked the Status Report on their website many times but there is no mention of any problems. Obviously, as I can't receive emails I won't get any email notification of responses so I will just have to keep logging in and out to see.

Sir Radfordin 15:49 31 Oct 03

Are you getting any error messages or anything?

Don't NTL have a webmail access of their systems?

May be worth checking you've got all your settings in place correctly - they sometimes do corrupt for no reason.

pj123 15:56 31 Oct 03

Sir Radfordin, no error messages as such only a window that says "please enter your user id and password for the following server" I do that and I just get the same window again and again and again.

Allan-263226 16:08 31 Oct 03

Not sure if you are aware but they are having problems with their email servers yet again!

Sir Radfordin 16:08 31 Oct 03

You sure (double checked, tripple checked and checked again!) you have got the right username and password? So many times I've typed the wrong one or something close to it.

It may be worth deleting any passwords you have got saved in your email client (Outlook Express?) and re-enterting them. They do, as I've said, sometimes corrupt.

Sir Radfordin 16:11 31 Oct 03

Try this:

click here

Can you check your emails that way?

pj123 16:43 31 Oct 03

Sir Radfordin, Yep tried that and all I get is "your username and password has not been recognised". It was OK up until Wednesday 29th October 2003 and also saved as "remember my details" and I didn't have any problems till then. I have also tried setting up a new identity using File Identies but that doesn't work either.

pj123 16:47 31 Oct 03

mad_allan, yes am aware of that but the Status Report on their website says the problem has been resolved for the Norwich and Great Yarmouth area on the 28th October 2003. I did manage to receive emails on the 29th October for a few hours but now since then I can't. Their Status Report has nothing new. I am in the Norwich area.

pj123 16:50 31 Oct 03

All I can do now is send emails from my partners email address, but that means telling everyone in my address to respond via that address and possibly change my email address on this forum to hers.

Pesala 18:07 31 Oct 03

I sympathise. I gave up trying to contact NTL by phone long ago. I have no landline. Mobile calls are way too expensive for waiting in a queue for more than five minutes.

Help via email merely says: "In order for us to help you must call 0845 .... " Useless.

Try setting up a new email address with Clara.net. You can get an unlimited free trial with email box. I never use my NTL email account. I also have one on my domain address, which I use for most correspondence.

Claranet free trial account click here

Why not take out a free trial to get unlimited local call 0845 Internet access with no obligations? The free trial can be used for as long as you require, to help decide which of our subscription based packages may best suit your needs. One call to our Customer Support department on 0845 355 1000 will arrange this.

The trial comes with the following features:

• 10Mb Webspace • Comprehensive newsgroup coverage • Unlimited local call 0845 Internet access • Unlimited e-mail addresses ([email protected]) •
Technical support, open 9am to 9pm Monday to Saturday • No credit card details required • No commitment

Pesala 18:10 31 Oct 03

Of course, I also looked at changing my ISP, but it is hard to find anything as cheap as NTL so I put up with it. As long as you don't need help it is good value. If you do need help, it is very difficult to get in my experience.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac