Is NTL going down the tubes?

Nick1 20:43 13 Nov 03

Is there a problem with NTL at the moment.

I have a BT line and pay my calls to NTL through NTL:Freedom.

I cannot connect to the server: Line engaged all the time.
Email downloads have been painfully slow for more than a week. Outlook frequently has to tried several times before it can connect to smtp or pop.
The "Contact Us" web page does not exist any more.
The 50p per minute technical halp line does not reply at all.

I am logging on through Tiscali at the moment but am having to pay for the phone call which would be free if I could connect through NTL.

I am beginnign to think that I will need to change my ISP.

obbit 20:55 13 Nov 03

i have NTL BB. it is working very well and all pages are available and open very quickly.

i have had a lot of trouble though about 2 weeks ago for a 3 week period for which they tell me i am going to be compensated.

so it may be a case of waiting till things get better in your area. i know the email goes down quite often. i wouldn't jump ship yet just wait a while.

tunneller 22:01 13 Nov 03

I have had NTL freedom ever since it started and have no problems at all. The speed is fine for a dial-up and as long as we spend £15.00 pm on fone calls the internet is free 24 x 7. They have been messing with the dial up software and I had problems but I ring the local call number and get help for "free". I dial in via BT by the way

JJCUK 22:27 13 Nov 03

having to dial in numerous times to get connected worse during the evening, seemed to start ever since the dialler update software (though im not using it) before that I ve never had a problem and I have been with them about 3 or 4 years now, changing to Broadband next month hopefully , so just tolerating NTL at the moment.

TBH1 00:08 14 Nov 03

nick1 - - your situation mirrors my own mate re ntl / bt. I have had problems in the past but in fairness, I've been OK this week, touch wood.
I think that when ntl do get problems , they are fairly localised - -I live in W Midlands and as stated , no probs this week.

rent-a-cop 02:27 14 Nov 03

probably not but their customer service did many years ago!

SEASHANTY 15:30 14 Nov 03

They can't be all that bad. They have added another 52,000 broadband customers almost doubling their broadband base. I haven't had much trouble with them on 600k over the past year - apart from the e-mail glitch for 48 hours or so on one occasion click here

David-235429 16:32 14 Nov 03

I was with NTL Freedom for some time and was very happy but in the last few months, ever since downloading the new dial up software experienced lots of problems including frequent, sometimes 2 or 3 times and hour, disconnections, usually after 8pm. I have tried to resolve this but NTL were less than helpful and the cynical part of me says this is a ploy to get you to change to B/Band. I am now with AOL and have not been disconnected once in 3 weeks, but cannot find an e-mail address for NTL Freedom (none on thier web site) and the 0845 tel number is a waste of time, I have been put on hold, twice, and each time for over 20 minutes...I JUST WANT TO CANCEL MY SUBSCRIPTION !!!

deram 17:34 14 Nov 03

I have only been with NTL for just over a month and have had no problems connecting to dial-up service apart from once when the phone line was down as well. I am an NTL phone user, using NTL 24/7. All the problems i've heard about re NTL are concerning the cable TV network.

Peter C42 19:21 14 Nov 03

My experience for what it's worth.

I've been with NTL for cable tv and phone for nearly three years, used them for dial-up for nearly a year and had broadband installed when we moved from the west side of Norwich to the east side about five months ago. The local cable company Bellmedia went bankrupt after cabling the west side, and the rest was completed by Cable & Wireless who were then brought out by NTL. Cable TV was never a problem on the west side, but dial up rates were frequently down in the low 40's kps and the signal would drop.
Broadband was a disaster at first until we uninstalled the CorrectConnect hardware. Now it's no problem, although XP keeps telling me the signal has dropped when it hasn't.A lap-top I have from work with Windows 2000 on it doesn't have any problems. The kids PC is still using dial-up, (must get round to setting up a LAN), and their download speeds frequently hit 49/50 kps, (with the same PC). Oh, and the cable TV keeps freezing and when I check with my neighbours, they seem to have the same problem. So on balance it's livable with, but probably could do better if tried harder. I suspect the problems lie more with the ntl cabinets out on the street and the servers, as I have colleagues all over the city and we all seem to experience similar sorts of problems at roughly the same time

As far as the original poster is concerned, I work on the fringes of the telecoms industry and my experience is that the gateways between many of the telco's, (NTL, Cable & Wireless) and BT are usual undersized, and will crash or lead to degradation if too many calls hit the gateway at the same time. Obviously, the more BT users trying to access the NTL network, the more traffic will be hitting the gateways. Switching to AOL or any other ISP that keeps the traffic within the BT network, (even if its hidden from you because the ISP is acting as a reseller of BT capacity), avoids the gateway issue. The restricted gateways are historic just like BT control of the local loop for much of the UK. Will it change - I don't know, ask Oftel.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…