NTL Email

WaTcHiNg 20:38 28 Mar 03

Just trying for the 17th time this month to log a fault with NTL regarding their email 'service'. Where do I stand on getting some kind of recompense for all the lost emails and frequent loss of service. Most time the server goes down I loose some email. I spend more time on the phone asking people to re-send stuff or tell me what they'd emailed me that NTL are making a killing on my 'phone bill.

The error message is:
There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Server: 'pop.ntlworld.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR mail storage services unavailable, wait a few minutes and try again.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

I wonder if there's any point ticking the box below to tell me when people reply - probably not :(

WaTcHiNg 21:42 28 Mar 03

I've just been on to tech support (again) and they've advised that anyone who does not feel that this recurring problem is being dealt with adequately should write to:

Customer Services
NTL Communications Ltd
PO Box 50
Withenshawe
M22 0BA

Incidentally, there's 11 outages recorded on their server status page (and that page only contains the major ones!).

Please don't send me or copy any links to the various unofficial NTL websites as I'd rather this is dealt with by genuinely affected people who are having problems rather than a group of people who will just complain because it's NTL.

he he :-)™ 21:54 28 Mar 03

is a good compony and I wish I could get them. Just because there having a few probs at the moment isn't there fault there probably are trying to fix it as we speak.

WaTcHiNg 23:24 28 Mar 03

I wouldn't mind if it was a one off but this has been going on for all of March at least while I've been keeping a record of when I can't get on. Before that it was intermittant also but I wasn't keeping track of how often and when.

their BB service is great, can't fault it, just the email is pants currently.

he he :-)™ 23:46 28 Mar 03

ah i'll shut up then. But may I suggest using a hotmail email address.

Macaonasa 02:09 29 Mar 03

Try Yahoo instead.

y_not 05:37 29 Mar 03

Seems to be a regular time for me to start and notice the errors occurring in Outlook (NTL BB).

Usually says that we are using the wrong passwords or it can't identify the user - I have always assumed that this means that they are either updating or overloading their system.

That aside I think the system is great.

As for compensation of any form.....read the small-print and don't hold your breath!

Coaster3 11:57 29 Mar 03

I've been having problems lately with NTL email. As far as I know, I haven't lost any and have had responses to all those I have sent. However, many have been delivered or received late.

bfoc 23:28 29 Mar 03

I have a number of mail 'boxes' with NTL broadband. Yet whilst my wife and daughter(s) work fine mine is 'off-line', with the errors outlined above, very, very often.

Why Me???

How can one 'box' not work when another 3 do?

I'm stumped.

he he :-)™ 23:44 29 Mar 03

maybe it's alphabeticaly related.

WaTcHiNg 08:35 30 Mar 03

Probably depends on what server your mailbox was created on. They seem to have a number of different servers on which they host email accounts pop1-win.server.ntlworld.com, pop2-win.server.ntlworld.com etc. So my guess is that one or mroe of these either stop talking with the others or one or more is out of storage space.

I'm not sure if they send all requests from particular areas to certain servers but from here (Blackburn), if I ping pop.ntlworld.com I get the address of pop4-win.server.ntlworld which is 62.253.162.54. If you're in a different area, ping pop.ntlworld.com and see what server address you get. Then do a ping -a on the address you get back (eg. ping -a 62.253.162.54)

If you do have these problems, write to the address above (post no. 2)
Cheers!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…