NTL BroadBand

pj123 23:25 23 Jan 03
  pj123 23:25 23 Jan 03

I have (supposedely) had NTL Broadband installed at 600k.

When I put the install CD in and run Install all I get is "unable to launch the programme at check.bat.

I have rung the NTL helpdesk number 4 times (waiting up to about 10 to 12 minutes every time, but it is a free fone number) No one who I have spoken to has been able to help me with this problem. I was given another number to call but when I tried it all I got was "The number you have dialled has not been recognised"

Has anyone got any ideas please???

Tim1964 23:58 23 Jan 03

What is your operating system? as I had probs with win98 1st ed. concerning the drivers for the USB connection.

Also are you connecting by USB or NIC?

Mysticnas 00:04 24 Jan 03

I've had it for over almost a year now and had no probs.

may its your setup? its connected via USB. i used to use it on Win2k, now i use on XPpro and no probs on anyof them. Even hooked up my GF's laptop running XP home and my mates laptop running win98. My bro had me running on his and non of us has had a prob.

However the server does seem to slowdown at times at my bro's area, but only for a matter of hours.

BRYNIT 12:24 24 Jan 03

This is a common problem with these disks. Go to explorer go to CD drive and click on launch icon.

pj123 14:28 24 Jan 03

OS is Win 98SE.

PC is 1.2mhz CPU. 256 SDRAM 40gb Hard drive with 23gb free

The BB connection is from the Digital Set Top Box to USB.

I did what brynit suggested and got much further into the installation but on reboot and testing the connection I got: DHCP release/renew failed. you have 1 network adapter set to DHCP. NET8511 USB to Fast Ethernet adapter NDIS 5.0 Mini port driver.

I did get through to NTL once who said my hard disk was causing the problem????? I am due to call them again soon.

BRYNIT 17:28 24 Jan 03

Is it connected to your NTL settop box and then to your comp or have you got a BB modem supplied by NTL.

vinnyT 12:54 25 Jan 03

It is poss. that there is not enough power getting to your usb modem, this has bee an acknowledged problem for some systems (not necessarily yours), the general advice is to install a network card (around £10 pcworld) and connect this direct to the set top box. Mine is set up this way and works fine, also frees your usb port. Hope this is of some help.

pj123 17:47 25 Jan 03

After 5 fone calls to NTL helpdesk have finally got BB running. But it took on average 27 minutes to get through to an "advisor". I now know the music off by heart.

In the end the problem turned out to be a faulty USB adapter (supplied by NTL) So far everything is OK except it doesn't seem to be any faster than my AOL dial up connection.

I will tick it as resolved (lets hope)

thanks for all your responses

Pete

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now