NTL BB

Kegsy 20:23 16 Oct 03

Still thinking about signing up for NTL broadband. Found some info today on NTL and others. As I understand it the Contention Ratio is capped at 50:1 on quite a few BB providers, which means that no more than 50 people can use the same line, so if it gets close to 50 people using it at any one time this slows it down considerably. Now I noticed that NTL does not have a capped ratio, so could this be the reason why some people say it is very slow at times, (eg. 100 people using it at any one time would slow it down a lot) or does this not apply to a cable connection? Also the daily transfer limit on NTL is given as 1Gb/day, can someone tell me the implications of this, Thanks

Elrond 21:09 16 Oct 03

I thought NTL had a ratio of 20:1 but I could be wrong and most probably am. Unless you're downloading a lot of stuff per day from things like Kazaa etc I'm sure 1GB per day is more than a sufficient amount. I am on NTL BB and I have had any problems(touch wood). Speed has always been very fast

Elrond 21:09 16 Oct 03

haven't had(that should be)

microswift 21:23 16 Oct 03

NTL has a contention ratio of 20:1, which is the lowest of any ISP that I know of. The 1Gb/day download limit means exactly what it says, though you have to exceed it three times in one week before getting a call from NTL, most NTL users dont come anywhere near the 1Gb/day limit, if you can live with that (limit) then I would certainly consider NTL broadband, I've been useing it for about two years and would rate it 9/10.

tenaka 09:42 17 Oct 03

I thought the 1gb limit per day never went ahead after pressure from their customer base?????

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009