Now you know....:-)

Stuartli 00:50 10 Jan 03
  Stuartli 00:50 10 Jan 03

In recent weeks some of us have been extolling the virtues of the computer related bargains at Morrison's, particularly the Imation 32 and 48x CD-R packs at £5.99 for 10 or three packs for £10.

Sometimes the reaction has been "Morrison's who?" - understandable as the Yorkshire family firm's supermarkets are mainly concentrated in the middle of the country.

But, hopefully, many more will be able to take advantage of Yorkshire thrift and enterprise with Morrison's £2.9bn takeover of Safeway.

Keep a look out for those bargains for your computer in the next few weeks and months...:-)

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:55 10 Jan 03

I'm buying 100 cdrs for £20 from Makro and Jungle.

Stuartli 01:06 10 Jan 03

Maybe, but are they on a spindle, are they top quality and do they come with cases?

There's no doubt you can buy CD-R disks at remarkable prices but the unknown brands can deliver more coasters than you would wish - plus wasted time. That's why I avoid the 100 CD-Rs on a spindle for £9, £10, £12 and £15 etc.

Even then you have to buy the cases...

Go to:

wclick here

for the best and worst of the No Name manufacturers and information on the bad, average and good brands.

You will be surprised just how comparatively few media manufacturers there are and how many companies rebadge their products.

deke 01:27 10 Jan 03

do the discs come with slimline or normal cases??

Stokey 01:33 10 Jan 03

Steps in ..... normal cases, I always use them now.

deke 01:41 10 Jan 03

cheers for the info

Andÿ 01:48 10 Jan 03

I have always used the cheapest CDRs and don't make coasters :o)

This little tool lets you read the ATIP (Absolute Time In Pre-Groove) of CDR (CD-Recordable) media with most of the current CDR recorders. This information tells the real manufacturer and type of dye used for this media.

click here Use the Alternative-Server

A lot of cheapest CDRs are just unbranded 'Name' CDRs.

You would be surprised how many spindles of 100 are actually exactly the same disks as the top names.

Sir Radfordin™ 08:30 10 Jan 03

Agree with Andÿ never had any problems with a spindle set of CDRs. No failed disks or anything. Also agree that at lot of them will be the same as the top names without the name on them.

As for cases, since I am not in the habit of keeping them in a CD stand, or sending them onto people its not a problem. A case from Maplin holds at least 180, and jewel cases are easy to find from other sources if you look hard enough.

Goldcroft 09:56 10 Jan 03

Think I made this plea before. Could people be more precise with their Titles please. Titles like Stuartli's "Now you know..." don't help select items for opening at all. Some of us just don't have the time to open and close every topic. For example, if I see thread is about games I don't bother as I have no interest in them.

It's worse in PCA site as there are only two basic subject areas - Helproom and Consumerwatch.

Would it be a good idea, as one other mag forum site does, to split the forum into, say, four subject areas?

Stuartli 10:55 10 Jan 03

My apologies in this case, but you might have been just as disinterested if I had posted something on the lines of "Supermarkets merge"....:-)

A touch of intrigue shouldn't go amiss.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…