Novatech PCs - Anyone Got One?

Pesala 17:30 30 Oct 06

I have narrowed down my search for a new PC to a few from Novatech who offer a wide range of monitors and have an excellent customer service record. I think the click here]Viewsonic VG 920 19" is a good value TFT to buy with my new system at around £200.

My budget is tight and my needs are modest — I just do DTP and Word-processing, with occasional Photo-editing and TTF font editing, so a high powered PC is unnecessary. These are the two systems on my shortlist. Which is the faster system and what changes if any would you recommend. As far as I know the AMD cpu is faster, but the Intel system has a dedicated graphics card. It also has more drive bays (midi tower instead of mini), and a slightly bigger hard drive.

AMD System - Icon Pro 3500 £638.66 (with monitor) click here

Intel System - Isys 820 DVR £662.16 (with monitor) click here

Totally-braindead 18:09 30 Oct 06

I think, and I might be wrong here that the Intel is onboard as well.
The AMD based system has a PCI Express slot but there is no mention that I can see on the Intel one so I'd buy the Icon.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong about the Intel system but I do think its onboard and with no PCI Express or AGP slot mentioned you are stuck with it.

thms 18:35 30 Oct 06

Send them an e-mail or give them a call and they will be more than happy to give you any information you require. I use them a lot and their customer service is second to none.

Pesala 18:37 30 Oct 06

nVidia 7300GS 256MB PCI-E Graphics

Again, no mention of a PCI-Express slot, but I presume that the graphics card is in a slot.

Certainly these details are important, and it is the kind of problem I was concerned about when deciding to post. I wouldn't want to be stuck with a system that I cannot upgrade later as I am likely to keep it for another five years or more.

My current 1Ghz AMD Athlon Evesham PC is over 5 years old. It has both standard PCI and AGP slots.

There is no mention of any PCI slots on either system. Is it safe to assume that it has at least standard PCI slots for adding other expansion cards?

Totally-braindead 18:43 30 Oct 06

I would email them for details of the motherboard but I have never seen a PC with less than 3 PCI slots.
I would also check with them about the Isys as I think this is onboard and with no dedicated graphics port you would be stuck as you mention.

Diemmess 18:46 30 Oct 06

Any time I have been uncertain about tech specs, a phone call has been worthwhile because the person at the other end always seems to be able to answer quickly, simply and accurately.

Totally-braindead 19:07 30 Oct 06

Phoning them as Diemmess has suggested is certainly a quicker solution and I have always found them very helpful on the phone.
In fact Novatech are my favourite company regarding computers, I always look there first if I want something.

Pesala 19:34 30 Oct 06

Asking for benchmark results, PSU, Case, etc. An automated response came at once. I look forward to an email tomorrow. I can call them if I need more details.

Always worth asking here to clarify the significance of various technical specifications. Such threads may also be useful to others.

What about the memory, for example? What's the difference between:

1024MB DDR400 PC3200 Single Channel Memory

1024MB PC3200 400MHz DDR Ram

Wavey Davey 21:16 30 Oct 06

By a quirk of fate I sent Novatech an email on the weekend. No reply as of now (Monday evening).

The PC I'm using was bought from them a few years ago. Not too bad on the whole, although the PSU failed after about 18 months and I had to purchase a replacement. I wasn’t overly impressed with that as it turned out to be a cheap quality power supply in what was supposed to be one of their better PC’s.

Anyway, I have looked at their current range, but including Windows XP they do seem to come in more expensive that some other suppliers.

Top tip - make sure you include VAT, delivery and the OS when comparing prices from different vendors.

Cheers.

Pesala 22:11 30 Oct 06

click here

This PC, which has what looks at first sight a similar spec to the Icon Pro 3500, is £698.96 inc., but deliver is £39.95 while delivery of Novatech PCs is, as far as I can tell, just £7. Warranties are similar, 12 month RTB.

It is hard to find another supplier that is cheaper than Novatech. Harder still to find one with such a good reputation for customer service. Other options that I have looked at such as Mesh, Watford Aries, and Zoostorm, don't look as attractive.

GaT7 00:01 31 Oct 06

Cyber Power System? click here

Never heard much of them, though they've received a few awards from PCA click here. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…