Notebooks - mobile or std processor?

Techy Dee 18:14 26 Feb 03

I've recently fallen from a ladder and broken my leg which has to be elevated for around 8 weeks. I have around £1,200 to spend on a notebook and don't know what to buy. Should I go for AMD or P4 and should it be a mobile processor. Has anyone got a Multivision Ionix or Pro vision and are they any good? I don't want to wait a couple of weeks for delivery. Help??

Sir Radfordin™ 18:21 26 Feb 03

Sounds like a job for PC World. Pay them a visit and see what they have to offer. You should be able to walk out with something same day.

Only if you are going to be using it away from mains power do you really need to worry about the processor. Moblie ones should allow the battery to last longer.

AMD will be fine for most people, just look at where the fans are.

Its not always a good idea to use a portable computer on your lap for a long time...has nasty side effects!

DieSse 22:25 26 Feb 03

A mobile version of the P4 has to be better in the long run - cooler running, less power = longer life for the batteries, and longer life for the system.

ajm 23:41 26 Feb 03

PC world have a HP 4140: Pentium 4 1.8Mobile, 512MB, DVD/CDRW,Floppy, 15" TFT, 40GB, Network Card, USBx2, Firewire, Ethernet Card, Modem, Windows XP Home and Works Suite 2002. £1199

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…