Notebook - reliable & durable?

Newuser3384 21:20 21 Mar 04

I am looking to buy a notebook in the region of 800-1000, and you know I have the choice of well known brands offering products with a lower spec than less well-known brands for the money. Are Dell, toshiba, compaq, etc worth buying because they use more reliable & durable (and therefore more expensive)components, or am I better to go for what appear to be unknown brands such as are recommended in best buys : Qbook, nethighstreet, Hi-grade and the like?

And how is customer service?

There is one offer at Toys R Us for a "Cybermaxx Medion" which seems to have bells, whistles and jingly-jangly things for £999, but the outlet and the name make me want to query how true the deal is...

3.2gHz, 60GB, ATI Radion 9100, 4x USB 2.0 Card readers for all the CF etc types, XP home, MS entertainment suite, MS works 7.0 DVD - & + RW CDRW, etc etc

What does your experience tell you & will you tell me
Thanks
P A

mikef. 21:33 21 Mar 04

Have a look at Novatech click here I've recently bought a centrino from them and they fulfilled there reputation for quality, service and good prices.

As for the Toys R Us offer I have a friend who has a desk top from them who is more than happy and Medion computers have a very good reputation.

JerryJay 12:01 22 Mar 04

Almost all Laptop are made in Taiwan. Some manufacturers make laptop for big name as well as small name, so not much difference. So, this is why so many Laptop look the same even from different brand.

I think the one offered in ToysRUs is made by a German company. There are some Laptop on offer in two German Retailers Aldi & Lidi now. If you search the forum you will find some members bought from them and very happy about it.

By the way, Higrade is not a small name, I got one Laptop from them and very happy with it.

For reliability, I always vote Toshiba, but they are expensive. I have used a few Toshiba over last 12 years and never have any problem. The first one I got was in 1990, it was not really portable because it weights around 5kg.

Newuser3384 18:24 23 Mar 04

Thak you for the food for thought. Still mulling it over, but appreciate teh thoughts

ade.h 19:27 23 Mar 04

The laptop owners I know have had good experiences with Toshiba and Hi-Grade. Acers seem good value but I have heard that they're a bit less reliable. Some posts on this forum over the last two years would seem to back this up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now