Not PC

Dumble452 16:00 06 Jul 04

Any views on 50hz v 100hz widescreen TVs?

spuds 19:44 06 Jul 04

Do a Google search, should bring up a few reviews.

harps1h 23:38 06 Jul 04

i have a toshiba 36" picture frame with 100hz refresh. the picture is superb. there is absolutely no strain on the eyes and coloursare accurate as well as a pin sharp picture.
just make sure you have a big room to put it in so you can get the full effect. (it also comes with dolby 5.1 built in) so go ahead...............
treat your self!

Danoh 23:59 06 Jul 04

Extremely pleased. Was going to add surround sound setup but it never happened as the built-in 5:1 was sufficient (I don't watch that many films ~ on this forum too much!! :-)

Checked it out against plasma/LCDs and in bright rooms such as my lounge, CRT is the only way to go during daytime (Wimbledon, etc).

BUT

It is HEAVY!! And its stayin with this house, thats for sure!!

Stuart Leyland 01:14 07 Jul 04

This isn't speaking from experience but I've read on one forum that whilst watching Euro 2004 on widescreens with 100Hz refresh rates (as opposed to the normal 50Hz) the quality on ITV was very poor. This could be vaguely seen on "normal" TVs so I would dread to think what it would have been like on a nice 100Hz TV :(

However, if you aren't a football fan, ignore me and go for it!

I will send you the link to the forum I mentioned at the beginning of my post via the forum email facility.

Dumble452 08:22 07 Jul 04

I probably should not have posted here on this subject but I knew I would probably get some helpful responses. Thank you. I had almost decided to go for a 100 hz set but then read of problems with movement / panning. Thanks for the link Stuart.
Ian

I suppose the new "Speakers' Corner" may be a better location for this type of question.

harps1h 20:35 07 Jul 04

you mention panning and movement. i have to say that the toshiba has no problem, in fact a dedicated audio/visual magazine rated the above set as 4.5 stars out of 5.

100hz is a lot aesthetic on the eye with no strain whatsoever. if you like it is like a monitor with a refresh rate of 60hz and one with 100hz. you try looking at the first one for a long time and you will see what i mean

georgemac 07:47 08 Jul 04

I have 100 hz panasonic widescreen, it is absolutely excellent, particularily when playing dvd's. TV reception can be a bit dodgy where I live, and cannot get digital, so will plump for the £150 sky deal with no subscription when it becomes available later this year. I have seen 100 hz with Sky, the picture quality is superb.

byfordr 11:54 08 Jul 04

What Toshes have you got? Currently looking at getting a Toshiba 36ZP38B to replace a old phillips 46" rear projection tv.

click here says a bit about 100hz technology

R

harps1h 22:40 08 Jul 04

mine is a picture frame 1 36". there is a picture frame 2 which has a black trim instead of the silver i have and has a few minor differences. you can pick one for £1399 as a stand alone tv or dearer as a video/dvd package.

sicknote 22:55 08 Jul 04

Had a philips 100Hz Tv for years and the picture quality was miles better than 50hz and still is.But picture quality is only good if things like your aerial/reception/connectors/cable are in good shape

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…