Not impressed with Argos. false advertising

lisa02 11:18 14 Nov 07

click here

Clearly states x700 graphics card, which will run basic games for my kids. When I opened it the sticker on the front says x200 onboard graphics, which won't.

Contacted Customer Services and the kind girl on the phone said "we are a catalogue company and we describe the basics, it's up to to find out how accurate it is".

I asked would they acknowledge the difference between the word card and an onbooard graphics chip?

ans:
"Our description is accurate"

Card means exactly that I will get a separate graphics card and not an onboard chip, you've mis described the item and it won't run the most basic games. Surely on that basis you should accept it back?

ans:
"We are not wrong it is up to you to find out how accurate our item description is. The store you bought it from will not accept it back."

The item description is clearly wrong, it says radeon graphics card. The sticker on the unit says xpress 200 onboard grahics card..

ans:
"We are not wrong, the description is correct and we didn't mislead you, it's up to you to find out about the graphics"

Your website says x700 card, I know that card is up to it's intended purpose, where as the box contained an xpress 200 onboard chip.

ans:
"Look sir I am not getting into an argument with you, I'm sorry your not happy but we are not wrong and the store will not take it back"

Cheerio and call ends.

I want a refund. Surely they are wrong.

lisa02 11:19 14 Nov 07

The item description is clearly wrong, it says radeon graphics card. The sticker on the unit says xpress 200 onboard grahics card..

should be chip.

The sticker on the unit says xpress 200 onboard grahics CHIP..

beeuuem 11:47 14 Nov 07

The Acer specification click here states on board graphics. The advertisement clealy states a graphics card.
Contact your local Trading Stadards, find your local one click here
A 'phone call from them to Argos can work wonders.

I am Spartacus 12:08 14 Nov 07

I've found my local store to be extremely helpful to the point of staff coming to my home to deliver replacements for defective or missing items.

It might be worth phoning the local store direct as well as Trading Standards as suggested above.

bstb3 12:08 14 Nov 07

click here

A key test of the sale of goods act is that wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).

Clearly in this case, describing a PC as having an x700 graphics card and then providing one with an onboard x200 graphics chip fails this test. As such you are entitled to a full refund, subject to you returning the items in a 'reasonable period of time'.

I have to say I am surprised at the attitude of the Argos staff, I have dealt with them several times and never had a problem. I appreciate that the call centre staff cannot be fully up to speed on all the items they sell, and maybe to them the difference between a chip and a card doesnt seem as significant as it actually is. A business offering for sale as many different products as they do is bound to make mistakes, or have their catalogues / websites become out of date when products change, but surely they should be prepared when that happens? Just stating something is accurate when it blatently isnt is just breathtakingly poor form.

And as for "We are not wrong it is up to you to find out how accurate our item description is. The store you bought it from will not accept it back." Well, I think some retraining is called for.

pj123 13:06 14 Nov 07

lisa02, did you notice this bit about this product:

"Additional Information
Please note that this product is excluded from our 30 Day Money Back Guarantee. This does not affect your statutory rights."

Don't know what your "statutory rights" are but surely you must have some recompense?

Also, of course, "we are a catalogue company and we describe the basics, it's up to to find out how accurate it is". How are you supposed to do that without opening the box?

RichFJ 14:04 14 Nov 07

"Additional Information
Please note that this product is excluded from our 30 Day Money Back Guarantee. This does not affect your statutory rights"

This is not legally sound, companies state this to try and avoid any returns certain goods but legally they cannot enforce this.

Suggest you go into local store and politely demand a refund. Argos isn't really the place to be for computer hardware in my opinion but they normally do refund without too much hassle..

Suggest you try somewhere like Mesh or similar to get the product you want

Stuartli 14:08 14 Nov 07

Argos has a 16 day no quibble returns policy - I'm perfectly sure that you have unfortunately just come across one of the company's very few inefficient/unknowledgeable members of staff.

100andthirty 14:11 14 Nov 07

Argos' 30 day promise is that you can return most things even if you change your mind.

"statutory rights" means things like the sale of goods act. so if they described the graphics as X700, and you got X200, then they've failed to deliver something that met the description. After all you'd be a bit chessed of if you'd bought a 2 litre car and only got a 1.2 litre

You do need to double check. Does the web site still say X700 for example. Could you possibly have misread the screen?

And I suggest that you don't rely on graphics card vs on board graphics. On-board graphics card is a term used quite often. the X700 versus X200 is the critical issue

100andthirty 14:14 14 Nov 07

Drat it - no edit button. Have looked at your link. fails to meet the description. Whilst it might be reasonable value with the X200, you're not to know that it wasn't an extra special offer

lisa02 14:37 14 Nov 07

Ok. I have called them again. Quoted some of the pointers you guys have made. Julia's suggestion is take it back to the store and have a chat they should do something for you. She also said she has noted the error in the listing, since she said that I've just grabbed a screen shot. :)

Off to Belfast shortly...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…