Not enough outlets on my Router

RISC OS user 21:52 24 Jul 13
Answered

I wish to split one of the outlets on my router in two so that I can access the LAN from another room when I take my Laptop there and I would rather not keep unplugging the LAN cables each time I move from room to room I prefer not use WiFi in this instance. If I connect a simple splitter to one of the Routers outlets and then connect each LAN cable to one of the new outlets will I have problems, is it similar to television signals which are halved when a co-axial cable is split?
Also what is the TP-Link TL-SF1005D 5-Port 10/100Mbps Unmanaged Desktop Switch, would it do the same job?

Nontek 22:43 24 Jul 13

A pair of Homeplugs is what you need.

Homeplugs

HondaMan 09:03 25 Jul 13

Agree with Nontek. I have used them very successfully on my Sky+ box and TV etc but what is the objection to WiFi?

onthelimit1 09:31 25 Jul 13

You will have to go down the homeplugs or WiFi route as you cannot use splitters for ethernet like you can for TV coax.

alanrwood 10:36 25 Jul 13

You can't just split a network cable into two which is what I think you are suggesting. It is not like splitting a TV antenna cable (which actually reduces it by much more than half as the impedance matching is upset). Apologies if I am reading it wrongly. If you want to avoid having to connect a cable every time then you have no choice but to use wireless. You could use a homeplug type device but that depends on whether you want to stream HD videos for example. Homeplug and possibly something similar to this click here might be your only solution as the ethernet network cable would be permanently attached to the homeplug. It would require 2 mains sockets to be in use all the time though. Seems a terribly complicated way just to avoid plugging in a network cable on the times you go into the other room. Wired connections are faster, more secure and cheaper.

alanrwood 10:38 25 Jul 13

PS if you don't have enough outlets on your router tyou will need a "Switch" a 4 way Gigabit switch would cost around £15. The Tenda ones are particularly good and chep

heymin 14:39 25 Jul 13

Just do a search for "ethernet splitter". They're not expensive and as far as I know, the connection is only affected if the other port is being used at the same time which will slow it down .

alanrwood 15:23 25 Jul 13

Look at this for the differences

click here that it only shares the cable and you still need two ports on the router and cables to each machine from a splitter at the other end going to the computers.

Note

RISC OS user 10:18 26 Jul 13
Answer

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will either get a cheap splitter at around £5 or the TP Link switch at about £7.75 all from Amazon.

alanrwood 11:16 26 Jul 13

Hi

I'm not sure if you have grasped this. Forgive me if I am wrong but I don't want you to spend money and find it does not work. A cheap splitter will not work on its own. You have to use 2 of them, one at each end. So you will require additional ports on your router. If you have one spare all well and good otherwise you will need an additional switch to create the extra port.

onthelimit1 14:38 26 Jul 13

Just to amplify, the ethernet splitters WILL NOT WORK in your situation - they are not designed to take a single output from the router to supply two cables.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now