This is not an argument for piracy

DieSse 21:11 03 Apr 03

News Story - "Bootleg software costing billions - Less piracy would mean more jobs, says BSA"

Not necessarily so - less spent on software means more to be spent elsewhere. Arguably this may be spent in more labour intensive industries (making more copies of software is not very labour intensive at all).

They're makng a bad argument - Piracy is theft, and theft is illegal and immoral - it's not an economic argument at all - making it an economic argument lays it open to question, when it shouldn't be.

wee eddie 21:24 03 Apr 03

of all the gold bracelets that bootleg software buys. Bootlegging is a very labour intensive industry. It takes much more human input to create bootleg CD's than the manufacturers machines.

If it was stamped out - think of all those poor Cops out of work. Sheriffs/Judges down the Burro/Labour Exchange. It doesn't bear thinking of.

Bacon & Eggs 21:25 03 Apr 03

Hear hear, I suspect that firstly, the same number of staff are required to oversee the machines printing 1000 CDs as 2000, and secondly, that development in the software industry means increased downloading of software thus no people at all anyway!!

I suppose their argument could be that more revenue leads to greater investment in development, thus more developers?

Bacon & Eggs 21:26 03 Apr 03

Hmm, hear hear to the first post (no offence eddie?)

wee eddie 22:29 03 Apr 03

My posting was only made to expose the overly simplistic statement made by the BSA.

Of course theft is immoral etc. But to say that if theft was stopped, more jobs would be created is an absurdity.

Forum Editor 23:02 03 Apr 03

last year around 17,000 people in the EU lost their jobs as a direct result of software piracy.

Of course piracy is illegal, but that doesn't mean there's not an economic aspect to it - there is. The copyright law exists because of the need to ensure that people who create original works can gain their rightful economic rewards from them.

I am bound to say that I find the "Less spent on software means more to be spent elsewhere" argument inherently flawed. You might as well argue that if you evade taxation you'll have more to spend in the economy, so it's good for industry if you're a tax dodger.

britianicus 23:57 03 Apr 03

Quote"last year around 17,000 people in the EU lost their jobs as a direct result of software piracy." Unquote.
without wishing to be a pedant please quantify and provide the back up. Music has been telling the same old story for at least 25 years - E.G. The "Home taping is killing music" campaign by no less than Mr P McCartney.

DieSse 00:44 04 Apr 03

"Actually it's not an absurdity
last year around 17,000 people in the EU lost their jobs as a direct result of software piracy."

Whatever the truth or not of this - that same amount of money that caused this loss of jobs will merely be spent elsewhere, and may well create even more jobs.

That's why making it an economic argument is misguided.

DieSse 02:07 04 Apr 03

"You might as well argue that if you evade taxation you'll have more to spend in the economy, so it's good for industry if you're a tax dodger."

That's precisely why low tax economies often perform much better then high tax ones, and is a powerful argument for lower taxes.

However (whatever the merits of the above)it's not a valid argument FOR actually evading taxes, which is illegal - but it illustrates my orignal point precisely, in that it's not an economic issue at all.

DieSse 09:04 04 Apr 03

---- Rant Over ----

justme 09:16 04 Apr 03

I agree with you completely. The 17,000 people who have unfortuneately lost their jobs have not been proven beyond doubt that it was due to piracy.

It is more likely that they have lost their jobs due to either a poorly conceived product or incompetent management or both. Software piracy is computing's equivalent of global warming - ie a convenient excuse for everything whenever something goes wrong.

Before everyone starts posting complaints that I am supporting software piracy let me state quite clearly that I do not support the software pirates, but I believe that many software companies are using software piracy as an excuse instead of sorting out the problems with their products.

It has often been stated on this forum that the computing industry is a very competative one, and in such a business environment there are bound to be some casualties.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…