norton versus mcafee

bythor 11:06 12 Feb 06

I've been using Norton AV 2005 and ZoneAlarm Pro.It's about time to upgrade them , and was thinking of doing just that. However, just got the April issue of PCA, and it's giving Macafee Internet Suite a gold. Now I'm not too sure what to go for! I need some other input if any of you can help. I know a gold award is a gold award, but the article does appear to have an underlying bias - or am I just making things more difficult than they need be??

Jackcoms 11:15 12 Feb 06

Why pay for your anti-virus protection when there are perfectly good free ones available? click here click here

J B 11:20 12 Feb 06

Before you decide on anything check out click here I,like you, am looking around for new security software,so I'm reading all that I can at the moment. J.B.

Forum Editor 11:21 12 Feb 06

maybe you're not, it's an important subject, and if you're not sure what to do the best thing is to ask.

All I can do is give you my personal prefence..........which would be for neither of them. I'm currently using the beta version of Microsoft OneCare, and so far I'm extremely impressed. That doesn't help you much, because the release version won't be available for a while, but it's worth mentioning for the future. In the meantime I would settle for the free version of AVG for virus protection, plus Counterspy or Spyware doctor (or both) and CCleaner, which will clean up all the rubbish that collects in the average computer.

Other people will have their own recommendations, and they'll have their own reasons for making them - the more you delve into computer security the more complex it gets.

Commonsense is one of the best programs you can get of course, and that's free.

bythor 11:23 12 Feb 06

Jackcoms - thanks for your info. I guess I consider that if it's for free it's maybe not as good as one that's paid for, don't know why! Also, I'm looking for a complete integrated suite for my security, not just anti virus. The obvious key issue is inter-operability as well as not hogging too many resources - which I somehow feel Norton does.

bythor 11:37 12 Feb 06

Thanks everyone for your help - not sure if I'm further ahead mind - looks like this one could a proper can o' worms!
Regards
Bythor

Jackcoms 11:42 12 Feb 06

For what its worth I've been using (and, like a prat, paying for) Norton AV since 2003.

On recommendations from this Forum I'm just about to change to Avast AV when my Norton subscription expires next month.

I also use SpywareBlaster, Spybot S & D, AdAware and CCleaner - all of which are free and do a more than adequate job.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:44 12 Feb 06

Paying for any security programme for a home computer is verging on madness. All you need is AVG free, MS Antispy, any old free firewall. Ccleaner is also worth having as it does it's job efficiemtly. They all work in the background (apart from ccleaner)so having an 'all-in-one' suite means nothing. With the money you save you could buy an external hard disk which will be of much more use.

G

freaky 12:10 12 Feb 06

Had this delemma as well - been using Norton IS for years. It did the job OK but at a cost.

When it came up for renewal a few months ago I decided to 'bite the bullet' - uninstalled Norton and replaced with AVG (free) for antivirus, and Kerio as my Firewall.

AVG auto checks for updates on bootup, and has a good user interface. I paid $14 for the Pro version of Kerio (on offer at this price till March 31st 2006) but there is a free version.

Both programs have caused no problems, and are unobtrusive in operation !

I also have SpyBot Search & Destroy, Spyware Blaster and Ad-Aware which are all free. And will get Ccleaner after reading about it on this forum.

Totally-braindead 12:11 12 Feb 06

GANDALF <|:-)> s comment about verging on madness is a bit over the top but he and the others are right. For the home PC there is no need to pay for antivirus and a firewall. And as GANDALF <|:-)> has pointed out you could put the saved money towards something else such as an external hard drive or whatever you like.
I personally use AVG, Zone Alarm FREE firewall, adaware and CCleaner. All of them are free have frequent updates and work well. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…