Norton Internet security 2006 parent control fail

Bill upton 15:45 15 Jan 07

I have been trying to get Symantec to fix this issue but am getting no-where:-
From Norton Internet Security 2006 use the tab Norton ANTIVIRUS, Reports, View activity log
I have found that a child account can view some of the reports and delete them.

'Symantec Technical Support' say that –

“ It is not possible to configure Norton Internet Security(NIS) to prevent access to other users ( Child User) to Norton AntiVirus Reports and View Activity Log”

However access IS prevented to some of the reports. The categories are.
“Connections” , “Firewall” , “Intrusion Prevention” , “System” and “Alerts” and they are all restricted with the message “ You do not have permission to view the events”.
This of course also ensures that the events cannot be deleted. Surely the other categories should be blocked as well – they are “Content Blocking” , “Private Information” , “Web History” , “ Restrictions” and “Email Filtering”.

The supervisor account can access all the reports which you would expect.

Does anyone have the same problem because Symantec will not fix this for me and i think that i am having difficulty making them understand what the issue is.

Totally-braindead 15:55 15 Jan 07

It sounds to me as if Symantec have answered your question. If I read what you have said and what they have replied correctly, then access is denied to some of the reports to other users but some reports are available to anyone and can be deleted.
If I read this right then that is the way they have designed the program. Therefore its working correctly. Why they would design the program so any user can delete some of the reports I don't know. I would have thought it would have been better to make the administrator the only one who can delete any reports. But obviously they think differently.
If I've picked up your meaning correctly you are stuck with it. The only solution I can see is if Symantec change their mind about the way the program works and decide to update it but I think thats unlikely. They might take your issue on board and alter the next version so that the only one who can delete reports is the administrator or they might not. Its really up to them.

Bill upton 17:37 15 Jan 07

You are absolutely correct. I too would have thought that only the administrator could delete the reports. which was my reply to symantec :-
As Designed !!!

You give me parental control so that I can monitor the child account and the ability to censor the sites that they visit – this is great.

BUT

You then give the child access to the logs so that they can delete them. !!!! What drugs were your designers on !!!!

I still believe that your product is severely flawed but since you insist that it is not I will let the world know how poor it is.

Thanks for nothing

Totally-braindead 17:46 15 Jan 07

Bill upton I assure you I am not not sticking up for them as I dislike Norton products but there could be a genuine reason it being designed like this.
I have no idea what it is though.

If someone deletes a report is there at least a notification that something was deleted and who did the deletion even if theres no record of exactly what was deleted. If so then at least you could bring that up.

Bill upton 18:11 15 Jan 07

Thanks but there is no notification. The only way of telling is if,as the administrator, you delete all logs at the same time prior to monitoring. That way the subsequent reports that the child cannot access are longer than the ones that they delete (the start date does not match) but there is no way of confirming the content of the reports.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…