Norton av versus free av software

shezzer 23:08 29 May 03

is norton av software worth buying when there is free av software available on the net

Little Davel 23:26 29 May 03

I have to say that i use AVG - but there are some experts (Wilders Forums for eg) who do not believe it is up to the job. Saying that i know people who are grateful to it for sorting out a virus or two!! There are few AVs which are 100%perfect all of the time. And there are plenty of examples of more 'famous' AVs letting folks down. I use AVG and Trend Housecall (online checker) with Zonealarm,Spywarebuster,Adaware and an anti-trojan software (from time to time). But always open to new ideas................................

jazzypop 23:47 29 May 03

These experts don't rate AVG at all!

click here

Is your data worth more than £25 to you? If so, buy Norton - best 50p a week that I spend :)

my vote is with Norton also, with avg you have no disaster recovery and while we're on the subject theres a lot of criticism of zone alarm so im a little dubious although it passes the shields up test. as to ad-aware thats a must have. i havnt tried spywarebuster or blaster but would definitely recommend spybot search and destroy. most of the software i use is freeware or open source but when it comes to security i spend the money.

Terrahawk 00:17 30 May 03

quite an intesting link
macafee man my self but as you say for a few pence a week you get a fully functional virus scanner and the support that goes with it if required

Belatucadrus 00:31 30 May 03

click here for avast 4, another freeware alternative, it's got better test results at virus bulletin than AVG.

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:34 30 May 03

AVG has caught every virus sent to me. I use the outlook preview pane and open ALL attachments.....'nuff said; experts schmeckperts.

DieSse 00:53 30 May 03

The problem with strictly person experiences is, you (nor I) don't get to see all the viruses out there. So a good professional test has to be a better guide.

I use and recommend NOD32 click here It has the best test record of ANY AV program, and has been measured as much faster at scanning than other AV programs. It's also a small download, and doesn't infiltrate and mess up your system to the extent that the "big boys" do.

I used to use Norton - and had to uninstall and re-install at least three times due to known and acknowledged problems. NOD has been utterly painless - You would hardly know you've got it.

New version out at the start on the month. Your fee is yearly and includes all updates including major program updates - no need to buy a new "2002" - "2003" version each year.

jeez 01:27 30 May 03

tried avg, ok it's free, but imho it's a load of rubbish. I got myself mcafee and never looked back

Europa 13:56 30 May 03

Used Norton the first year, had problems with it, especially when I was using the restaure feature. Change to AVG, have been using it ever since (one year ago) and never looked back since.

Djohn 14:08 30 May 03

Erm! AVG, even the free version has a recovery disk, you are advised to make it on first download. J.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…