Norton AV 2004

phil.smith 12:37 19 Jan 05

I have Norton AV 2004 professional which is due for subscription renewal at £20.95

I have seen that Norton AV canm be bought for £16 (oem) or £19

Should I just get the new 2005 version or will there be some catch?

Will I have to uninstall 2004 before installing 2005?

What is an oem version?

Thanks

Phil

goonerbill © ® 12:48 19 Jan 05

you could just uninstall and the reload nortons 2004 back on your pc. only thing is downloading all the updates again.

not sure if you are braking any laws doing that, as you only have it installed on one pc but many people do it.

stylehurst 14:43 19 Jan 05

Symantec usually recomend that earlier versions be uninstalled before installing new version.
OEM simply means that it comes without things like a printed manual.

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:48 19 Jan 05

Why not use one of the free AVs. They are as good if not better.

G

Howardwilli 15:10 19 Jan 05

Having had a lot of problems with Norton where they have so many restrictions on reloads and finding out that their support appears to be very poor, I would think of other options.

ventanas 17:06 19 Jan 05

Norton AV 2005 installs over the top of 2004 without any need to uninstall. It's painless and quick.

You cannot uninstall and reinstall 2004 because it requires activation. Symantec will know when it has expired, and so will the program.

OEM does not mean what stylehurst says, or anything like it. It means that these versions are for supply with a new PC, and usually only work for three months.

I have just bought 31 2005 upgrades for £19 each from PC World Business. It will cost a bit more retail, but there won't be much in it.

stylehurst 17:15 19 Jan 05

Agree with Ventanas that OEM are normally supplied with new PC, but have never found a 3 month limit on OEM software. Still running some 3 years later without problems

citadel 18:38 19 Jan 05

I just get the new version each year, it auto removes the old and installs the new in one go.

phil.smith 12:32 24 Jan 05

Thanks all for the info

Phil

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…