Norton AntiVirus Update

Cryo 18:13 22 Feb 04

My subscription to NAV & Firewall 2002 is due shortly & I wondered if there is any advantage in upgrading to the 2004 version? I have been quite happy with the protection I have had over the past 2 years & have read in one review article, that this latest versions perfomance is poor compared with other systems on the market.
My query is, should I stick with what I have already or go for the upgrade. All comments would be most welcome, thank you.

Steven135 18:37 22 Feb 04

I have always used NAV and have never had any problems I'm on 2004 now and its running with no problems though like any software this is not universally true.

I have read that getting support is an absolute nightmare (I have never had to so can't comment).

Personally I would upgrade I don't think it costs much more than re-subscribing you can see how much on their website where you can also download the 2004 upgrade

Stuartli 09:13 23 Feb 04

Judging what I was reading on another help forum about NortonAV 2004 the other day, there seem to be a host of problems with the latest version....

Jester2K 09:27 23 Feb 04

Ditch it and get Grisoft AVG Free Edition - click here.

Uses less resources and works great for free..

keenan 20:37 23 Feb 04

Have 'Norton AV' on XP home & installed AVG free edition on 'XP Pro' to try a month ago, as Jester2K
says uses less resources, and works every bit as well as Norton.

Try it.

Jarvo 21:36 23 Feb 04

have had no probs with 2004 and no slownes still think norton has the edge for virus removal and auto update works better than AVG where you have to stait a time your computer will be connected.

you will now see a big debate on norton av verses AVG and zone alarm

Answer both are Good ! its up to you

Jarvo

Southernboy 14:17 24 Feb 04

Norton no longer seem to be automatically installing AV updates. I now have to check LIVE UPDATE to see if there are any updates to be downloaded and installed.

Any ideas?

Jarvo 19:01 25 Feb 04

if you have a passowrd to log into xp you need to have that password for sceduled tasks. sart,prog,accesories, syst tools and sceduled tasks click on norton and add password.

Mister Splendid 19:09 25 Feb 04

out soon.... Just uninstall all your Norton software and then re-install. Connect to Live Update afterwards and you have a new year of updates for nowt!

Fordy 19:28 25 Feb 04

if you do as MR Splendid says all you are doing is replacing your existing virus definitions with an exact copy --- or am I missing something?

dave01_uk 20:50 25 Feb 04

Once you reinstall you have another completely new year of free updates.

There was an older version of Norton that you could just turn your windows clock back a few months (back to the period of free updates) and it would fool LiveUpdate into thinking you were still subscribed. Dunno if that still works or not, anyone know??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…