Norton Anti Virus Con.

Sillo100 19:03 08 Dec 04

Up until I bought this computer in Jan 2003 I had used the free edition of AVG and found it more than adequate. They offered me a half price copy of Norton anti virus 2003 so I decided to accept. After the first year I paid a further fee to keep it on. I have to say that have kept it regularly updated and it appeared to perform adequately until last Saturday when it informed me that I had the W32TIBICK Worm. It also stated that it could not fix, delete or quarantine it. I looked on the Norton site and found that NAV 2003 is no longer supported and they did not want to no. I then downloaded AVG again. This immediately found both the worm and a Trojan BACKDOOR BLARUL D and fixed and deleted them both. Just a cautionary tale for anybody else who may be in the same position and think they are protected as I did.

Dorsai 20:04 08 Dec 04

It's the same with all stuff. Eventualy it becomes out of date, and the company no longer supports it.

In IT the 'too old' comes around very fast. What was last years 'cutting edge tech' is this years 'very old hat'.

Am not saying it is right, but it is a fact of life.

A con? Perhaps, perhaps not.

Mr Mistoffelees 21:23 08 Dec 04

Have a look here click here for instructions from Symantec to deal with W32.tibick

gudgulf 22:29 08 Dec 04

To present the other side of the coin I have recently downloaded a file which had an installer for winfavorites,an adware/spyware threat lodged within it.Adaware found it(in a zipped folder) but A2,SpybotS&D and Giant antispyware did not.A2 also found a dialer which the others did not.

Norton internet security however found both and what is more was able to remove the winfavorites installer from within the zipped folder.Since I bought Norton for its av/firewall programs I am somewhat suprised to find it outperforming my usual antispyware/adware programs.

Maybe with Norton its a case of better to upgrade with each new edition rather than extend your update subscription.

kev.Ifty 22:40 08 Dec 04

eh? So a person buys a Norton Anti-Virus product, and for a subscription period they can update for free! Then at a point unbeknownst to the PAYING customer, they (Norton) stop supporting that product. Which then allows their customer to become vulnerable to the threat for which they (the customer) first PAID good money to Norton to prevent!

Oh i see! what it must be, is that when SYMANTEC launch these new alternatives to things like 2003. It must be really really difficult to inform their paying customers, and see if they would like to upgrade and continue with that all important protection.

It must be so difficult that they just sit there and hope you will sort out your own problems and then go back to them money in hand, and buy the next version. My subscription is up for renewal at the end of January, so it will be interesting to see what notification i get.

I hope they aren't working on the 'RAC' renewal logic. Where loyal members pay about £100 each year, but if you sign up on your way into Tesco to buy some bananas it will cost ya £50!!!

I think Norton should wake up and realise how many options we customers have............

Apologises for the ramble.

Sillo100 22:46 08 Dec 04

I had looked at the Norton removal method but it appeared very complicated especially when Norton could not delete the file. As I said AVG did remove it I have just checked the registry and the two values it mentions to remove manually have also been removed. My main point is that whilst they keep issuing updates for a product you would think that it is still current and its a bit of ashock to find out it isnt. Its also a cheek to want to charge you full price to upgrade. I'll stick with AVG I think.

bremner 12:21 11 Dec 04

A little confused over this.

I have NAV2002, I have a paid up subscription until mid 2005 and regularly receive all virus and product updates.

Sillo100 12:52 11 Dec 04

I paid my update subscription and received the updates but when I had the problem trying to remove the worm I went to the Norton site and was told that NAV 2003 was no longer supported and they could not help me. My subscription sould have lasted until Jan 2005. I think you will find it is the same with 2002.

bremner 14:50 11 Dec 04

I see what you mean now - can't say I am surprised.

In my case I would not expect to receive free techical support three - four years after purchasing a product though.

Charence 16:37 11 Dec 04

I'm using Norton AV 2003 at the moment and have paid my subscriptions. So I've not actually been receiving any updates recently? That's worrying. :o(

bremner 17:28 11 Dec 04

As I said and Sillo100 confirmed in respect of him/herself..........

We are both receiving all updates (as should you) it is only technical support that is no longer available.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…