Non-stop phone calls - How do you stop them!

wids001 07:42 16 Jul 10

My parents (both in thei 90's) are now being plagued by phone calls from Asian sounding people representing some debt management agency. They are getting 4-5 calls a day. When they asked them to stop calling the person on the phone became abusive.

Why they are calling my parents I have no idea. They have never, ever took out anty loan or even HP, and do not have, nor have ever had, any credit cards.

I googled the number and came up with various sites in including Phone Pests which has over 10 pages of complaints about this number and

click here

My parents are registered with TPS, but after I contacted them they told me that there was nothing they could do to help.

What can we do to stop this company making my parents life a misery.

morddwyd 07:48 16 Jul 10

I had the same problem and installed True Call.

click here

Expensive, and without meaning to patronise your parents, will probably need someone (you) to set it up for them, but so far, for me, 100% effective.

961 08:23 16 Jul 10

One easy option is to get BT to change the telephone number and ensure the new one is ex directory

I believe they have a department which deals with this sort of trouble

morddwyd 08:37 16 Jul 10

I agree it's an option, but I wouldn't say it was easy!

I've been trying to go ex-directory for months.

Graham. 08:48 16 Jul 10

Consider a Panasonic KX-tg8421E or similar phone. You can add the number to the Barred list. The caller then gets engaged tone but the phone doesn't ring.

HondaMan 09:42 16 Jul 10

But suppose the number is withheld. I like truecall and having watched the demo have just ordered it.

Chris the Ancient 11:01 16 Jul 10

Same as morddwyd. I have a trueCall and it's a boon. I wouldn't be without it now.

jack 11:46 16 Jul 10

or colud the old folk cope with a cell phone?
If you think the could - and get them a simple pay as you go- then have to BT line terminated.

If BT cannot deal that is

Graham. 11:50 16 Jul 10

You will need Caller Display on the line.

Pine Man 12:09 16 Jul 10

I have just watched the promo for truecall and I would not be at all happy with the way they deal with 'withheld' numbers as they could be extremely important but you would never get them.

Newuser38 14:37 16 Jul 10

Going ex-directory will not stop this type of call they are, I believe, randomly generated by computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5