no restore disk on tiny computer - use XP disk?

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 23:25 08 Jan 05

hi all,my dad bought a tiny computer about 2 years ago,things have gotten bad now,and time for a fresh start.is it possible to get a restore disk from tiny i e-mailed them twice about the subject,they never replied :(.i do however have a windowsXPHE cd which is the same OS on the tiny computer can i re-install windowsXP but use the license on the sticker instead of the one that was included with the XP cd i bought?.then activate windows?.thanks alot.ben

Forum Editor 00:18 09 Jan 05

on a separate (hidden) partition on the hard drive, and the system registry will contain details of that specific OEM installation. You can't use the details from the authentication sticker on the computer to install from a retail version of Windows.

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 08:51 09 Jan 05

fair enough,is there anyway i can use this hidden partition to re-install windows with?.thanks v much.ben

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 21:19 13 Feb 05

Afraid to say you were wrong about what you say,its ok everyone makes mistakes :-)

My dads computer was really un-usable you couldn't even get to the user account selection screen.

So i used my WindowsXPHE disk that i had used to install on my custom built to fromat the drive,install windowsXP but using the authentication sticker instead of my OEM one it worked well so far.

Then windows loaded and asked me if i would like to activate,so i clicked activate over phone,i rang up,entered the prod id number,then gave me the details i needed to activate windows and it works fine,and can still update!

So the answer to my question is

YES!

Thanks

ben

megat193 22:17 13 Feb 05

As long as you are not using the same licence for both computers....

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 22:32 13 Feb 05

I only had 2 licensces and 2 computers.

I know installing it on 2 computers on one licensce is wrong and won't be able to be activated,but that is why i asked the question.

i only took the risk of not being able to do it was becouse the computer had properly broken down

thanks

ventanas 17:18 17 Feb 05

Ben, there is a reason that you were able to activate the same version of Windows twice, but I'm not going to advertise it here. What I hope is that you do not have to use the disc in the future to reinstall your own computer because then you may have problems. Also Microsoft are soon to introduce a policy of validation for updates, you could have problems here.

You have broken the licence agreement by using the same disc on two computers. The fact that you may think you have two licences does not override this. If your father had lost the discs (or whatever else) that came with his computer, he should have bought a new retail copy of XP. Costly I know, but I fear you may have created problems for yourself in the future.

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 21:07 17 Feb 05

No problems yet.

updates install fine over here and on the other.

How do you mean problems?

The tiny computer had no restore disc,so i had no choice i am not buying another windowsXP CD.

If i ever have to re-install windows,but im not going to say on PCA.

Yes i know what you mean about the validation thing i had to go through it when downloading MS anti-spyware i downloaded on both computers so this has been fine,i shall let you know of anything that doesn't work

Thankyou

ben

ventanas 08:35 18 Feb 05

Ben, I've said all I intend - except. You have at least one illegal installation of Windows. There will be problems in the future when Microsoft bring in validation to their updates, the product key may be blocked on both computers. Should you have to reformat your own machine now Windows probably will not activate. And should you have anything that doesn't work in the future, that will be, I'm afraid, your doing and your problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…