No more free AVG?

At least that's the gist of the message I got upon turning on my pc this morning.

As from January 27th AVG version 7-1 will expire and be replaced with version 7-35 which will cost $29-95 yearly subscription.

Anyone else get this message?

octal 21:36 13 Nov 06

I think you'll find 7.1 will be replaced with 7.5

"GRISOFT is announcing a new version of the AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition. This new 7.5 version with improved performance and full compatibility with the latest Windows Vista version is available. Users that are using AVG Free 7.1 will be provided with a specific dialog, within the next few weeks, with the opportunity to choose the right option fulfilling their needs. AVG Free 7.1 version will be discontinued on 15th of Jan 2007."

click here

LastChip 22:18 13 Nov 06

But understandably, they have made it a little less obvious than their paid for version.

Forum Editor 22:19 13 Nov 06

and I'll move it now.

Totally-braindead 23:01 13 Nov 06

Its still free, theres been at least half a dozen posts from others thinking the same thing.
You just have to install version 7.5 free, they are stopping version 7.1 thats all.

roy 23:15 13 Nov 06

Not only is version 7.5 still free but it is on this month's cover disk (January). PCAdvisor of course.

josie mayhem 00:34 14 Nov 06

I wonder if this a reaction to Vista being released?

Vista and microsoft have made this version more difficult to change it codes, some of ther other anti-virus companies have complained bitterly about this.

Microsoft have brought it's own virsion of anti-virus, defender ect out, incorpatated within vista if I've got my fact right!

anchor 12:18 14 Nov 06

For those of you who wish to download it direct from AVG; (16.8Mb)

click here

tony58 16:53 14 Nov 06

flag

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017