Nigerian 419 money-making scams

ch0pper 05:00 28 Jun 04

I know that sensible people shouldn't respond to these e-mails from Nigerians begging help to 'release' funds. However, surprisingly many people do fall for it.

I cam across this website click here from a guy who has dedicated some time to scamming the scammers.

I haven't laughed so much in ages.

I know that the more mature (i.e. funless) people on this forum will say that the best response is simply to delete the emails and forget them, but sometimes it just seems so RIGHT when a punter fights back and makes a monkey out of the fraudster.

Stuartli 08:14 28 Jun 04

It's an old chestnut in the forums but the Mail carried a big piece on the subject over the weekend.

As you say, some of the stories are side splitting.

FATSCAFF 11:27 28 Jun 04

Its the funniest thing i have read in ages. Just spent over an hour reading one story.

Its great well done for finding such a funny site

g0slp 15:51 28 Jun 04

That's one of the best sites I've seen in a long time.

Some of these con-artists aren't exactly the sharpest knives in the drawer, are they?

Bill H 16:55 28 Jun 04

Brilliant

Forum Editor 18:18 28 Jun 04

calling them Nigerian scams, because just as many are now originating in Europe.

Despite the hilariously bad use of English, and the fact that the story is inevitably the same one each time, a few people continue to fall for these transparent con tricks. That's why they continue to arrive - believe it or not they work often enough to make it worthwhile.

bremner 19:56 28 Jun 04

Yesterdays Mail on Sunday carried a reasonably large piece on 419's.

As has been said the majority of these scams originate in Europe - Amsterdam to be precise.

The point is they work on peoples greed, how anyone can think they are going to get millions of pounds for nothing is beyond me.

ch0pper 23:35 28 Jun 04

Whilst many of these scams seem to originate in Amsterdam, investigations STILL show that the majority are carried out by Nigerians livng illegally in Holland.

It would hardly seem fair to call them 'Dutch' scams, now would it?

Forum Editor 23:56 28 Jun 04

although it's true to say that almost all of these '419' scams were originally perpetrated by Nigerian nationals that is certainly no longer the case. Many different nationalities have joined the gravy train, and apart from Holland, Croatia, Russia, and various African countries a lot of the scams now originate in mainland China. You don't find too many Nigerians living illegally there, that's for sure.

g0slp 09:39 29 Jun 04

I've noticed a lot of the recent ones have had "**@***.ie" addresses. I seem to recall reading or seeing an article about the Irish police being asked to tackle some of these scammers by the owner of a Dublin Internet cafe, but they seemingly couldn't do anything about it. I forget the reason that was given, unfortunately.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…