'next-working-day' delivery rip-off

Haysi 17:38 01 Nov 06

I placed an order (around 11 AM) with click here and paid for 'next-working-day' delivery but nothing arrived, they claim this is out of their control so will not refund the extra delivery charge but they cannot supply any parcel tracking info so I suspect they have not dispatched it, - any ideas about getting them to 'cough-up' this money ?

Totally-braindead 17:44 01 Nov 06

Calling them a rip off is a bit harsh. I appreciate how you feel but perhaps the item has been dispatched and its the delivery company who have failed them.
The thing is you don't know.
Personally I'd be sending them a letter asking for a refund of the extra next day delivery cost you on the grounds that you never received it.

sean-278262 17:50 01 Nov 06

Technically you are dealing with the tech company not the delivery one. I would tell them that they have failed to provide the service to you as agreed. Tell them they had no mention that the delivery option was not guaranteed.

" 3. DELIVERY & SHORTAGES
(a) Delivery charges may be applicable to the order.
b) In the case of goods purchased by credit/debit card, those goods can only be shipped to the card holders registered statement address, unless the customer is known to Technoworld plc or certain proofs can be provided then goods can be shipped to an alternative address.
(c) If there is a change to the agreed delivery date then the buyer shall have the right to cancel the order and receive a full refund of the amount paid."

Part 3 is what you need to quote back to them. They cannot say one thing and then tell you another.

I do agree however that it isnt really a rip off just they are not being helpful. Call them up and request to speak to someone in charge and tell them the above.

A

Forum Editor 19:19 01 Nov 06

Yes, and that's the real crux of this matter.

'Next working day' sounds good, but often it's wrecked by courier difficulties, and all of us who buy goods online need to be aware of the fact. Suppliers can bend over backwards to pick goods, pack them, and have them in the despatch bay, but once they're in the courier's van a whole host of factors may come into play.

Big courier companies work by having distribution hubs, and initially all goods go there to be routed onto the nearest courier depot to the delivery address. Once they reach the depot they're sorted into van routes, and it's usually up to the drivers to make their own decisions about how they route themselves to make deliveries. The original suppliers are out of the equation by this point, and like you, they're at the mercy of traffic levels, roadworks, vehicle breakdowns, and a range of other potential glitches.

Most of the time it works extremely well, but there are always going to be problems. You're on the receiving end of one of them. Goods are at the supplier's risk until you sign for them, but this delivery charge thing is always a problem. I would like to offer a magic answer, but I don't have one.

postie24 19:27 01 Nov 06

If you use royal mail special delivery,its guaranteed next day.If for some reason your goods dont turn up on time,the sender can claim compensation from royal mail.You are also covered up to £10,000 for loss or theft

tony58 20:11 01 Nov 06

thanks postie i did not know that, tony

v1asco 21:56 01 Nov 06

Despite all the the very good statements above the fact is HAYSI did not get what he paid for.

I think that he should get a refund to the amount of whatever he paid for next day delivery from Technoworld. If Technoworld then want to claim a refund from their couriers let them do so. Ignore the inconvenience unless it all drags on.

To call it a rip off is only true if he does not get a refund.

This just a laymans point of view.

JIM EMERY 22:05 01 Nov 06

Different companies seem to use different couriers, the way I believe it works is that many of them can deliver next day as long as they take orders by 3pm and send the info to the courier.

As for paying more simply to get next day delivery?? thats insane, where I buy from does it as standard (or you get a choice when youd like to recieve it). Why should this be any other way??

I tell you why i think, MARGINS... your retailer may have a larger cut in the next day delivery price.

mickyricky 22:16 01 Nov 06

I have spent all my working life in the 'delivery' business and these days we charge a premium for 24 hour deliveries and we expect to have to reimburse the client (in full, not just the premium) when we do not meet the delivery time. If Techoworld don't have such an agreement with their carrier then they need to change the carrier. Your agreement for delivery is with the supplier not the carrier - INSIST on a refund of the surcharge for next day delivery.

Widow's Son 23:06 01 Nov 06

or a court will ignore them (my bank has just had to repay me just under £1000 because theirs wasn't)

I'd be very surprised if any small claims court would accept a company charging extra for "next day delivery" not delivering, and then trying to hide behind a clause in the small print.

Demand a refund of the delivery charge and tell them if they don't pay up within 14 days you'll take a small claims court action to reclaim the charge.

bfoc 23:24 01 Nov 06

With Royal Mail Special Delivery Next Day the compensation for Loss and Damage starts at £500 (£4.10 for 100gm) and goes up to £2500 (£10.80).

You can buy consequential loss cover and for £10,000 that would cost £3.15.

Full leaflet available click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009