new tv

joe95 23:04 12 Dec 04

which system should I buy surround sound or dolby pro logic and what are they? simple please

Salinger 23:19 12 Dec 04

ProLogic gives surround sound but with only 1 channel fed to the 2 rear speakers. Dolby Digital 5.1 will feed 2 separate channels to the rear and with an additional sub-woofer you get the best sound i.e front left, Centre, front right plus rear left and right the addition of the sub woofer gives the system its oomph! Of course you need a 5.1 Amp and either a coaxial or optical sound link. THX is better but more expensive!

Salinger 23:32 12 Dec 04

Sorry, should also have said that you will not get 5.1 sound from a terrestrial TV unless you have Sky+ and/or a DVD player(with coax or optical sound output)!

Salinger 23:35 12 Dec 04

...or did you mean a TV with built in surround/Pro Logic? if so, go for Pro Logic.

joe95 23:39 12 Dec 04

yes built in, I don't want to have speakers all over the room or buy any extra gear.

Salinger 23:45 12 Dec 04

Then get one with pseudo surround.

Salinger 23:48 12 Dec 04

You also have to be aware that built in TV speakers give rubbish sound.

Stuartli 14:32 13 Dec 04

Not necessarily. Depends on the TV manufacturer and how much you pay for the set...:)

You could always feed it through a hi-fi system if desired to improve the sound output - TV stations have always/generally transmitted very high quality sound for decades (from FM onwards).

Stuartli 14:37 13 Dec 04

If you can afford it, get a digital ready rather than just analogue TV set ready for the eventual switchover...

joe95 14:57 13 Dec 04

was thinking of either JVCAV28R4 Dolby prologic surround sound or AV28T4 Nicam stereo, don't have hi-fi,also upgrading to DVDrecorder DMRE55 multi.just about to the limit of my budget.

Stuartli 15:14 13 Dec 04

The best way is to find a retailer who has what set you have in mind on demonstration in a suitable room and to weigh up the sound and vision for yourself; worth checking its performance against similar sets from other manufacturers. Toshiba makes some first class models.

DVD recorders are now coming down to around £130 or even less and will drop even further before long.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…