Is This New Spec Good For Gaming?

MK MAN 03:27 08 Jun 06

Ive just gone out and bought a new case, and want to make my own gaming PC. I am about to order the following components:

ASUS A8N-SLI SE SKT 939 MOTHERBOARD,
AMD Athlon 64 BIT X2 3800 Dual Core Socket 939 OEM,
ATI Radeon X850 XT 256MB Platinum Edition PCIe,
Samsung SP0812C 80Gb SATA HARD DRIVE

Overall price: £450
Done some of my own research in to the seperate components, and this is what I came up with. Will this spec be good enough to run games at a good quality?

Cheers

gudgulf 09:51 08 Jun 06

You don't mention memory........hopefully you will be using 1GB (or more)

Otherwise good..........the X850XT doesn't support Pixel shader 3.0 so you wont be able to try the "next gen" effects such as HDR lighting.Don't let this put you off,I have an X800XT and that plays all the games I have well..including F.E.A.R. and OBLIVION.I don't know what price the card you are buying is but you could also consider an NVidia 7600GT which is one of the best "bang for buck" cards around right now (£140 ish).slightly faster than the card you have picked(unless you add antialiasing)and fully up to date feature wise.

Also for gaming,relatively few games are dual cpu optimised and you could get an Athlon 4000+ for a similar price to a 3800+.It is going to be faster on most games...dual core only really shows its muscle when multitasking.

It's well worth a look at the guides and reviews of cpus and graphics cards on click here

PsiFox 11:47 08 Jun 06

I echo gudgulf.

Problems are experienced by people using x2 processors in games, but not everyone. To be safer the 4000 is a better bet.

Consider 2gig RAM as in a lot of FPS games including BF2 it makes a big difference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…