New Sony Vaio E series or new Dell Studio 17?

cassiem1012 17:44 04 Jul 10

Hi everyone,

I am hoping someone can help me. I am after buying a new laptop, I do not own a desktop so it will be used for everything. I will mainly use it for university, general internet surfing and playing World of Warcraft. My main concern is that it can play w.o.w well at a high fps with no lag. I am also likely to get photoshop at some point as I would like to start doing a bit of graphic design in my spare time.

Based on these requirements I have narrowed my choice down to the two below laptops. I have seen an acer with similar specs too however I am anti Acer at the moment as my Acer lasted just over a year and had so many problems, therefore I want something much more reliable. So here we go my options are:

Sony Vaio E Series 15"
Intel® CoreTM i5-450M, 2.40GHz
320 GB Serial ATA (5400 rpm)
4 GB 1066MHz DDR3-SDRAM
Blue Ray (on offer for free at the moment)
39.4 cm LCD, 1366x768 + webcam (option to get 39.4 cm LCD, 1920x1080 VAIO Display Plus HD1080 (1920 x 1080 pixels) (16:9) + built-in "Motion Eye" digital camera (0.3 Mega Pixels) for £40 extra if worth it? Could anyone make any suggestions please?)
ATI MobilityRadeon HD5650 1GB

for £678.99

OR

Dell Studio 1749 17.3” High Definition+ (1600x900) LED with TL- 2.0 webcam
Intel® Core™ i5-450M (2.4Ghz, 4 Threads, turbo boost up to 2.66 GHz, 3M cache)
500GB (7,200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive
4096MB 1067MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [2x2048]
DVD +/- RW Drive (read/write CD & DVD) with DVD Burn software (same as Vaio except no Blueray)
1GB ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5650 Graphics Card

£748.99 (I am a student though, so I think Dell do offer a discount of 6% for this)

Can someone please give me some help as to which machine is the best out of these two.
I have some thoughts, which would be great to have help with also. I really like the graphics card in these machines, however I have heard that in the Sony Vaio they have underclocked the ati 5650 to 450mhz, which has worried me - I don't want to pay extra for this graphics card if it is not going to perform as well when playing warcraft on the vaio.

However I love the size and look of the vaio - i think it is more mobile than the Dell if I am correct and I have heard that Song quality is much better than that of Dell?

The only reason I am really considering the Dell is because of the graphics card not being underclocked - will Dell be much better graphics wise because of this? I ave heard Dells are known for overheating though which is worrying.

If someone could shed some light on these thoughts that would be amazing as it is costing me a lot to buy this machine and I would hate to make the wrong choice.

Anyone that owns either of these machines and can give me some help that would be great as well!

Thank guys =)

cassiem1012 21:15 04 Jul 10

help please!!!

Silverworm 04:00 05 Jul 10

I have a Dell Studio 1558 which I bought in April with slightly inferior specs. This is my second Studio as I spilt orange juice on the first and the insurance co bought another one haha. Overall, it is a good laptop and does what it's supposed. The only problem that I've had is that it would randomly freeze up, but I updated the BIOS and it has not frozen up since. Apart from that, I've had no problems with it. I mostly use the laptop for surfing the web and watching tv shows though, so I can't really comment on how it handles intensive tasks, but I have played the odd game of CS and watched a HD movie, which were both fine.

As for the overheating, the bottom of the laptop does get quite warm and I can sometimes feel it on the palmrest, but it has never caused any problems with performance. As with all laptops, just keep it in a well-ventilated spot.

As you're using the laptop for uni (as I am), I don't think mobility will be much of issue as mine was just sat on my desk the whole time, and I only transported it when I was moving home. One disadvantage of the 17 inch screen is that laptop bags are harder to find though.

The inbuilt speakers aren't too bad, I used them for a whole term for listening to music etc, but I would recommend getting some portable speakers because laptop speakers are generally poor anyway.

One last thing, if you go on the hotukdeals website there is usually a code which gets you some more money off. Also, you can use quidco to earn some cashback for it. Now, both the student discount and quidco require to you follow a link from a website to the dell store, but there is a way to get both at the same time.

Oh and also, laptop insurance would be a good idea for uni, it was only about £26 for the whole year for me, and that turned out to be a wise investment. :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…