New Scam?

laurie53 14:41 31 Jan 09

I've just received a snail mail from the Halifax addressed to Mr.Bmgmhmhgmh Mvmhmhh (not my name!) asking me to go on line and activate my account using the user name I was given when I registered.

I have never registered with the Halifax (though I do have an account), nor have I had any contact with them, other than direct debit payments, for two years.

I haven't had a reply from their security yet, but I'm deeply suspicious.

Just a warning.

Kaacee 15:46 31 Jan 09

If you have forwarded it their security I am surprised they have not contacted you, they do not respond to phishing emails that are forwarded to them.

I have received many such emails from various banks etc. just delete them.

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:18 31 Jan 09

Any Bank will NEVER ask you t confirm your account details fom an email.

G

jimmybond 16:20 31 Jan 09

...although doesn't that mean post - as in the type you get through the letterbox - rather than email?

laurie53 16:23 31 Jan 09

Firstly this is not a phishing email, but a snail mail, which is a new approach to me.

Also, all three of the banks with whom I have accounts have a special email address (two of them actually have the term "phishing" in the address) to which they ask that such approaches be sent.

Up to now I have invariably received a reply, albeit sometimes auto-generated.

laurie53 16:27 31 Jan 09

Yes, normal Royal Mail.

Address and postcode right (there is only one other house with the code), just the name wrong.

Even if they'd got it right I'd have been suspicious.

wiz-king 16:50 31 Jan 09

As you have an accout I would photocopy the letter and send it to the bank and ask them to check it out.
Someone may have set you up another account!

laurie53 20:18 03 Feb 09

Update.

I have now heard back from security and it is totally new to them and they have asked for the letter to be sent on.

Kaacee 20:21 03 Feb 09

Sorry I spoke........

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…