New PSU needed...

Diodorus Siculus 17:21 31 Jan 08

...will click here replace click here

My PC refused to start up today when I returned home having been away for a few days; I changed power cable but nothing changed. There is a slight sound from the PSU but nothing more.I took PSU out of the machine and connected it up - still only that sound.

Am I right in concluding that it is a PSU problem and if so, will the Jeantech above be a suitable replacement?

The reason that I want the Jeantech is that I need to collect it at PCW asap and get up and running again.

Cheers, Dio

Totally-braindead 18:36 31 Jan 08

The short answer is yes it will work as a replacement as long as it has all the connectors you need.
When you say you took the PSU out and tried it and its still the same I presume it was connected to another PC? If not then theres no guarantee it is actually the power supply.
And no offence against Jeantech but for that sort of money I would be looking at something by a name better known to me like a Tagan or whatever. Also its a bit dear. As an example of a Jeantech PSU heres one from Novatech click here and looking at the picture of the 2 together it might be they are the same and the Novatech one is £15 cheaper, even with next day delivery you could still save a tenner if you can wait.

Diodorus Siculus 18:44 31 Jan 08

I didn't have another PC to connect it to; the reason I think that it is the PSU is that the fans don't spin and there are no lights on the motherboard when it is connected to the power cable.Up till now, when I had the machine plugged in, it would casue a LED on the LAN to operate.

Is there any way to test the PSU - given that I don't have a suitable PC to which to connect it?

Cheers, Dio

Quiet Life 18:50 31 Jan 08

The old PSU does seem to be a fairly recent model and manufacturers web site says three year warranty. With various PSUs I have taken out to clean the fan has always come on when powered up outside the computer. As Totally-braindesd says your proposed purchase is a bit pricey

Diodorus Siculus 18:58 31 Jan 08

I realise it's a little pricy; but I need something soon :(

As you say, the one I have is fairly recent - I got it about 2 and a half years ago.

Anyway to test?

Cheers, Dio

Rayuk 19:01 31 Jan 08

click here
But as they say be careful how you go.

Zeppelyn 19:57 31 Jan 08

I bought a Xilence LCD ATX Power Supply Tester recently and found it very handy.

citadel 21:00 31 Jan 08

those jeantech psu's are ok, hiper are better and I would get one of those if pc world still sell them.

Diodorus Siculus 12:55 01 Feb 08

Picked one up this morning as I got PCW to pricematch for me.

Installed and all up and running.

Cheers, Dio

Totally-braindead 14:13 01 Feb 08

Glad it was the power supply Diodorus Siculus there are power supply testers you can get from the likes of Maplin but if you're not a system builder, IE if you only use it the once, its kind of a waste of money.

Diodorus Siculus 14:34 01 Feb 08

Thanks; not worth my while getting a tester - I built this machine about 30 months ago and it's been great up till now. A fan went a few weeks ago but otherwise it's had no problems.

I know that this is probably not the best PSU I could have got for the money, but I have lots of work on this that I needed quick access to so couldn't afford the time to wait around.

I think that I may get on to Hiper about this one - it's only about 30 months old so they may have some sort of warranty.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos