'New' product-no serial numbers

ened 16:41 23 Apr 06

I bought a keyboard and mouse from eBay.
It was advertised as new OEM.

The serial numbers have been scrawled out and I wrote to the vendor to mention this and ask for an explanation.

His reply:

"they are over NOT RETAIL BOXED . not for highstreet seller.that's why"

The thing is he has a very high approval rating and I want to make sure I am correct before accusing him of anything dodgy (although the 'new' mouse had clearly been used)

Forum Editor 16:46 23 Apr 06

are given a serial number by the manufacturer, and there's no good reason I can think of why anyone would want to delete or deface a serial number.

If someone sold me an item with a defaced serial number, and claimed it was a new OEM item, I would be a tad suspicious I think.

Stuartli 16:48 23 Apr 06

Could even be stolen property...:-)

Hence the need to remove the serial numbers - certainly it's a strange thing to do if they are genuine.

ened 17:08 23 Apr 06

Well you have both strengthened my suspicions.

I just wonder what the best course of action is to take.

I don't have much faith in the complaint procedures at either eBay or PayPal and I don't really want to be out of pocket.

The guy has about 250 positive comments with a couple of neutrals so I would think he is pretty straight. But monetheless as Stuartli says:
Could even be stolen property...:-)

I certainly don't want anything to do with that.

Diemmess 17:16 23 Apr 06

Keyboard and mouse are fundamental and not "difficult" bits of hardware for normal purposes.
To be kind, I could understand there being no leaflets, CDs or pretty packaging. If there is a brand name on either, it might belong to a substandard batch that a manufacturer has sold for next to nothing, and wants nothing more to do with the batch

I assume you were attracted by a low price and in your shoes I would go on using them if they behave exactly as they should.

Parallel to using them and depending on how curious or legalminded you are, why not continue your enquiry as to their source and a reasonable explanation for the defaced S/N?
There's a trace of stale fish in the air!

ened 17:25 23 Apr 06

I assume you were attracted by a low price

I was but more on a whim - in fact I have just this moment ordered the same stuff from ebuyer.

I can find a use for this one if I can be convinced it is legit.

Smiler 17:57 23 Apr 06

"The thing is he has a very high approval rating and I want to make sure I am correct before accusing him of anything dodgy (although the 'new' mouse had clearly been used)"

Give him a negative rating and say why.

george 22:07 23 Apr 06

Hi,
Trying to prove the legitimacy of the articles in question would be impossible, unless owned by a company (and usually a large one) that has a dept for tracking all equipment within the business.
You would first have to find the company or individual in question to confirm it the goods were stolen.
Look at what goods the seller has for sale. Could they be part of series of housebreakings in that local area of sale.
You could contact the local police office (LIO) in the area the seller is listed and give them a description of the goods he has for sale.
That is a lot of trouble for a mouse and keyboard but I have to admire you, and your honesty. If you think it is dodgy then keep with it. Contact the police and let them tell you it is OK,or otherwise.
Cheers,
George.

ened 10:32 24 Apr 06

It might be "a lot of trouble for a mouse and keyboard" but it could have been your equipment.

I will not condone theft and neither I suspect will anyone else who has suffered a burglary.

As I said I only bid for this on a whim and it is now back in the box awaiting the vendors next move.

Incidentally he has offered to re-imburse everything but his 'out of pocket expenses' if I send it back! Then,I suspect it would go straight back onto eBay.

I know I am going to get a (Totally undeserved) negative rating for this, even though I paid up via PayPal within minutes of the Auction ending. This guy doesn't give feedback until you give him a good one first!!

Stuartli 10:59 24 Apr 06

My suggestion that it could possibly involve stolen equipment was, it must be realised, the worst case scenario.

But e-Bay is a noted outlet for such behaviour, hence my initial thoughts.

ened 11:05 24 Apr 06

If there was any sort of explanation surely he would have come up with one instead of telling me that is what I should expect from OEM.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…