new printer scanner

Jameslayer 15:06 30 Mar 11

Hi I am looking for a printer and a scanner would be a nice feature but not essential. It will be used mainly for:
-documents
-printing websites
-mainly black and white
-occasion scanning but not essential

It will not be getting used very often probely a couple of times a month. So speed is it not important. The biggest concern I have is cost and running costs.
click here

click here

was posted on another thread as a suggested all in one.

Terry Brown 19:50 30 Mar 11

I have always found HP to be very good, and use JETTEC ink cartridges instead of HP (too expensive).

Have a look around your local computer shops to see one you like the look of, and will fit in the space you have for it, then make a note of the make & model and do an online search.

Sometimes, you can buy it cheaper in a store (no post & packing), than buying on the internet.

Before you say that Amazon does not charge P&P, it is included in the price you see on the screen.

Terry

spuds 11:17 31 Mar 11

I have a selection of printers, and nearly all of them are All-in-Ones. Wouldn't have anything else, due to cost saving, ease of use and practicability.

Cheapness of compatible cartridges, I would stick with Epson or Brother, depending on models chosen. But I do have a very old (12 years+?)and heavy HP OfficeJet 591 printer that I can still get cartridges for. My more modern HP Photosmart C3180 gave up the ghost after a short time, and HP support also failed the test of time.

I would suggest that before making a purchase, check out a few reviews and the cost of ink cartridges. If you purchase a printer that will hold a CISS or refillables (check on eBay for these), then that is a cost saver in itself.

Would mention that the Brother printer came with a one year manufacturers warranty, but if you registered it on-line, then they gave a further two years for free. Not sure if that still applies, but it did when I bought it through Rymans.

Taff™ 12:02 31 Mar 11

click here Wireless and the individual cartridges are less than a pound each. Don`t know how good these are but the compatibles via other trusted sources are only about £15 a set - still very good value. Several of my customers have bought this model and are pleased with the results. £50 and free delivery but be quick this model has fluctuated in price several times since Christmas and peaks at around £70. Don`t know where they get the £150 RRP from!

961 14:46 31 Mar 11

I'm an HP guy but I suggest you ensure that you can buy remanufactured or compatible cartridges for the model you choose. Cheap cartridges for new models often take time to appear and if you are stuck with makers only they can be expensive

Printers that take only 2 cartridges are invariably cheaper to run than ones that take more. Although folk say it's cheaper to replace single colour cartridges when one colour runs out I have not found that, especially if the printer is not used a lot

Printers with the print head in the machine invariably use a load of ink in self cleaning cycles making them expensive to run. Printers with the print head in the cartridge use much less ink doing this

I've found printers with the paper lying flat in the front feed tray as opposed to paper fed in from the back and stacked half way to vertical have far fewer paper jams and two sheets fed at once

While wireless and wi fi printers are all very nice and modern I still prefer wired jobs either via usb or ethernet cable to a router

Terry Brown 20:01 31 Mar 11

Printers with the print head in the machine invariably use a load of ink in self cleaning cycles making them expensive to run.

The secret of not wasting ink on these printers is to leave them on, unless you are not going to use them for at least a week.

Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos