New Printer, No USB Cable ...

Bingalau 19:17 31 Jul 07

I have just purchased a new Canon Pixma iP4300 and much to my dismay find there is no usb cable supplied with it, to attach it to the computer. The place I bought it from (click here) says that is how they are supplied. I find this very annoying because it has cost me another eight pounds to buy the cable. I have e-mailed Canon but am still awaiting a reply. What I want to know is... Can someone confirm whether it is illegal to supply goods which are not suitable for purpose? Because without the cable, I couldn't even set up the printer from the CD running in the computer. Without the cable the printer is useless.

PP321 19:49 31 Jul 07

Hmmm whilst this is the norm when buying a printer, i think its really bad practise.

Ive just looked on the site and it doesnt mention a cable NOT being supplied, it didnt even offer me one in the "checkout" .

Because of this yes you may have a case, they'll try and fob you off saying "this is the case wherever you buy a printer"

Bu you say "im not talking about other retailers, i bought it from YOU, and YOU didnt tell me i needed a seprate cable!"

You dont buy a kettle only to find theres no lead in the box when you get it home do you!?!.

Just another way for companies to make money.

this 30p cable retails for £14.99 in some places.

Rip Off.

Pine Man 19:55 31 Jul 07

On the same theme I have bought DVD players that do not have a scart lead that connects them to a TV. I have bought several printers and none, including my latest canon, had a USB lead.

I have queried this lack of leads for various items and have always been told that they are a standard items of different lengths and you should buy the most suitable for your use!

Maybe if the lead you wanted was included the printer would have been £8 dearer ;-)

nam_rahs 19:55 31 Jul 07

Go to your nearest Poundland, you will pick one up there for £1.00. I've used them, they're ok.

nam_rahs 20:01 31 Jul 07

Bingalau
Sorry, if the cable you require is special to Canon then you will not get one there. However, the standard USB cables they sell are OK.

Bingalau 20:17 31 Jul 07

Trouble was I had a backlog of jobs to print, and there is no poundland nearer than about ten miles away. So I went to my local computer shop. They were very good and said "Bring it back if it doesn't work etc." But I think if nothing materialises from either Canon or the shop I bought it. I will get the Trading Standards involved because as far as I can see they are flogging a printer which is unsuitable for purpose because it can't/won't print.

oresome 20:39 31 Jul 07

Think of it this way.

If you already had a USB printer, the additional lead supplied with the new one would be surplus to requirements and just add to global warming for no useful purpose.

Kate B 21:21 31 Jul 07

I'm afraid no USB kit comes with a cable these days.

Starfox 21:25 31 Jul 07

I bought an HP printer from Comet and the salesmen told me I would need a cable to make it work so i bought a usb a to b cable as suggested.

Got home opened the box and guess what, there was a cable in the box.

Stuartli 21:56 31 Jul 07

My Epson R300 came with a very high quality USB lead.

Using cheap ones is false economy.

malgall 21:57 31 Jul 07

you got a bargain stop complaining

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…