New printer: must decide

warbler 15:26 15 Jan 04

I am just about to buy a new printer, replacing a Deskjet 820 Cxi. This is largely to enable me to get better quality photo prints. I have been looking at the recommendations on this site. What are people's experience of using the five ink tank system as in the i865 against the two ink system of the i470D ? Looking on the Canon web site I find that the i455 has an identical spec to the i470D except that the i455 has no direct card printing. The i470D is priced at £162 but the i455 is only £66 so I am going to go for this except for the concern about the better print engine on the i865. Any views?

byfordr 18:25 15 Jan 04

Why not try them? When I was buying the Canon website offered the facility to get a sample print from the printer. I can't remember the link so you might need to do a bit of digging around on the Canon website. I ended up getting a i950

sdf 18:32 15 Jan 04

I have a Canon i865 and think it is absolutely FANTASTIC! I would recomend it to anyone. Do a search in the forums for it - you will be reassured i think

Curio 18:34 15 Jan 04

If you are looking for a photo printer that prints only 6" by 4" prints and is not an inkjet, have a look at the HiTi Photo Printer 630PL. Is a cracker.

warbler 18:36 16 Jan 04

Thanks for the replies I will follow up the suggestions

Dan 14:44 17 Jan 04

I've got a Canon i850 which I'm very pleased with. the main diff between the i850 and the i950 is the 850 uses a 4 colour system and the 950 uses a 6 colour system (well that and the cost difference).

click here

this is the review on steves digicams of the i850, and there are also reviews of other printers here including the above mentioned i950.

I moved to the canon from an epson600 which was good for photos but costly on ink. The other advantage of the i systems is that the inks come in seperate tanks so when you run out of yellow you don't have to replace yellow, cyan and all.

It seems a nice little printer.

paul654 14:50 17 Jan 04

I have a Canon i550, it`s cheap to run, very fast, quiet and prints very good quality docs/photos....what more do you want. Buy a Canon, they`re the best, trust me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…