New Printer Advice Please

MSRees 11:56 31 Mar 09

I need a new printer and need advice about which is best to buy. I am currently using an Epsom Stylus Photo RX420 but would prefer not to have an epsom again. I need an all in one machine.

kindly 12:30 31 Mar 09

This all depends on what you want to pay and what you want to do with it.
Generally speaking, I would say go for a photo printer with the ability to print onto discs. My Canon MP610 was £110. A bit expencive but the quality of photos of it is really good. It is a three in one so saves on space.
With the scanner I can scan and save so as to edit the paperwork.
I would also think about the cost of cartridges. Canon ones have a microchip on them. A lot of remanufactured ones are starting to put the chip on ready so no need to move the chip over.
If you do a lot of photo printing, you could also think of having a continues ink supply system. This would save in the long run and you would have the benifit of having the same ink colour all the time.

MSRees 18:37 31 Mar 09

I don't do a lot of photo printing but like the facility to do so. The ink cartridges seem expensive can they be refilled.

FatboySlim71 21:25 03 Apr 09

I have tried the main brands, Epson I found problamatic for clogged heads and needed regular cleaning. I had two Canon printers, both lasted about 18 months before printhead failure.

After this I purchased a HP printer (Photosmart C3180) around two & half years ago, in that time it has never missed a beat, I have never needed to clean the heads, this is undoubtable due to HP printers having the printhead built into the cartridge, this means that you are getting a new printhead everytime you change the ink cartridge, so the quality of printouts remains the same as it did on day one of purchasing it. Admittedly the head built into the cartridge makes the cartridges expensive, but I have never had printouts, text etc that are has sharp and has crisp has I get from my HP printer.

MAJ 21:41 03 Apr 09

I too like and use HP printers, have been using the Photoshart 7350 (not an all-in-one) for a number of years now and no problems. As FatboySlim71 says, the HP cartridges can be a little expensive, compatibles are less expensive and excellent for everyday use (about £22 for a tri-colour and a black cartridge), but the fact that the printhead is on the cartridge is a Godsend, no endless cleaning, full ink trays or printhead failure. Lexmarks are also good, but the cartridges are very expensive and it can be difficult getting good compatibles.

MSRees 07:28 04 Apr 09

Checking out all previous comments - I am considering getting another Epson Printer. Previous problems with epson include problems continuing to print when paper has run out or jammed - with RX420 have to switch off printer and start again. Which epson all in one printer do people recommend.

Thanks

FatboySlim71 10:37 04 Apr 09

You mention on your opening post,
"I am currently using an Epsom Stylus Photo RX420 but would prefer not to have an epsom again", but on your last post you say "I am considering getting another Epson Printer".

Obviously you are not happy with your present printer else you would not be wanting advise on a new priter, so with the problems you have mentioned that you have had with Epson, then it may be wise to try a different brand and see if you like them better. I can honestly say that I have had ZERO printing problems with my HP printer, again this is undoubtedly due to the printhead been built into the cartridges and this is changed everytime a new cartridge is installed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now