New PC: Time/Mesh/Dell/Carrera or NetHighStreet??

amis 19:31 23 Sep 03

I'm about to buy a new PC from one of the above companies. Any advice about who would be best for quality of service and after-sales support?

This PC will be for general home use for adults and teenagers, not much gaming, but lots of schoolwork and Web access, music/file downloads etc. What is the best config?

The advice I've had suggests an AMD 2400 XP processor or higher, with 512 MB memory and GeForce4 video card. Is this best? Should I increase the processor and/or memory?

961 19:45 23 Sep 03

If you want to use the computer for the reasons you suggest you can get away with anything over AMD 2000 and 256 memory. No need for more. As for the manufacturer I suggest either Dell or Evesham. Dell have good offers in inserts in weekend press

The Paul 11:28 24 Sep 03

I have bought two systems from NetHighStreet and to date no major issues. The orice was keen. Only issue for me was the time to get it here. I live in N.Ireland which isnt really so much down to NetHighStreet. The build is good and the kit inside is also good. One system has a H/Drive going wrong after about 18 months. Thats not down to NHS though.

mdshamilton 12:43 24 Sep 03

I bought a new PC from Dell last week - very happy with it.

They do a non-advertised EPP (employee purchase plan) for a number of company employees. I got an extra £100 back as a result (I had to submit a form with a copy of my staff id card). You have to call them, tell them you work for a large company and ask if they do discounts for employees.

amis 14:27 24 Sep 03

NetHighStreet never rang me back on a sales query, so not too impressed with them. Getting thru to the others on Sales is also not easy.
Sounds like the advice is to go with Dell or Eversham, as they are bigger with more reliable support.
Thanks for all the advice.

Final question, I've narrowed the processor spec. options down to AMD 2400 XP, or Pentium 4 with 2.66GHz or 2.8Ghz.

Would the AMD be slowest of these, or are the 'numbers' not comparable?

-pops- 14:31 24 Sep 03

At the speeds those "numbers" represent, you won't find a lot, if any, difference between them for the purposes you say you are using the machine for.

johnnyrocker 17:07 24 Sep 03

before you decide have a look at this and get your own preferred build click here they built mine and it is good.

cheers.

johnny.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac