New PC reliability and customer support.

troutcatcher 07:54 01 Sep 07

I am in the market for a £500 desktop for my daughter who is going to Uni in a few weeks. Reliability and good customer support are essential. I have purchased 2 PCs from Evesham in the past but I wouldn't buy from them now given recent developments. There are so many horror stories about bad customer support from so many manufacturers and retailers and I want to make sure I avoid the worst culprits.

I have considered Hewlett Packard (I have an HP printer and the customer support I have received from them has been excellent). Also considered an Acer (I use Acer products at work and they have been fairly reliable).

Help and advice much appreciated!

Steve

anniesboy 08:26 01 Sep 07

The latest Which magazine (available at libraries or to subscribers)
Showed Dell as best for reliability Hewlett Packard came 9th on their survey just behind Evesham
Customer support was sadly not really covered except to mention that Mesh and PC World were not well regarded.
I'm sure others will add more advice /suggestions,I hope this helps a little.

techie4me 08:35 01 Sep 07

Toshiba.
Last 3 Laptops from them & all have been reliable with 1st class customer service & support.
At work we buy them 50 at a time because they are so good!

Diemmess 09:28 01 Sep 07

If it is intelligent prompt customer support that tops your list I commend Novatech. click here

As mentioned in another recent thread they are seldom part of magazine reviews, but they are as reliable as the best big names.

A grandson was in your daughter's position a year ago, bought at the budget end, added RAM and a floppy drive.

Worked straight out of the box and continues to do so. the same for a more fancy one I bought for myself last May.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…