New PC Purchase advice

Pendari 16:58 23 Oct 04

I am looking to purchase just a base unit, I use the computer in the main for surfing, word processing and database (access), very occasionally I also attempt to program using VB6. In addition I would also like to transfer and edit analogue video and burn it to DVD. My confusion is what is the best processor for the job? Based on the advice given in PCA it would appear that the Athlon processor is the best value at present however a salesperson assures me that whilst this may be the case at the top end of the processor market and for gaming, the Pentium P4 is still has the edge for video. At present I am considering the Tiny Thunder 3400-64 (slightly more than I want to pay) or the Tiny 3000-64 upgraded to 1024MB of RAM. What should I set as my minimum specification to do the job?

TomJerry 19:47 23 Oct 04

A lot of reviews found Intel P4 is better in Video/Audio encoding and AMD is better in number crushing (so good for games).

Personally, I will go for Tiny Terminator Digital which is £699

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…