New PC Prices

jamesyt 21:01 30 Jan 03

I'm thinking of getting a new PC but I don't know whether to buy now or wait 6 months. Do you guys think that the prices will drop dramatically? I also heard that memory is getting more expensive so maybe this is the right time to buy?

Let me know what you think.

Elrond 21:13 30 Jan 03

At the minute memory price has dropped. Problem here is you cud wait six months and think, well maybe i cud wait another six months and get a better spec machine. Its a bit of a loop really. Prices will always drop as newer machines are built and you'll forever be in the situation of "I wish i'd waited and i cud've got it cheaper"

Wes Tam ;-) 21:23 30 Jan 03

jamesyt prices are constantly dropping and specs get better and better - there's never a 'right' time to buy.

My previous PC was a P133 with 64 MB RAM (all singing, all dancing at that time!!?!) which cost £1,500 (don't know what that is in todays money), my current PC is an Athlon 1.2GHZ with 256MB RAM which cost £1,100.

I can now buy a more powerful PC for even less than that!

Just ensure that the PC is capable of doing what you want to do with it 6 months or more down the road.

colg 21:49 30 Jan 03

Mines a P166X, and most of time serves me well, but also thinking of upgrading, amazing how much better and cheaper they are now!

When you need to buy a new one get it, personally though i think you are better to buy one which was least years model as they are loads cheaper and will probably be sufficient for 5 years

Steve27 23:01 30 Jan 03

It's always infuriating to see the machine that you bought superseded the day after you leave the showroom but that is the name of the I.T. game.

The machine I have is now 18 months old a 1.4 Gig Athlon but if you are not an ardent gamer who needs anything more? I have upped the Ram, bought an old ATI Vivo 64 MB Graphics Card for peanuts, fitted a second HD etc etc.

I agree with colg don't go for the latest model spend what you save on customizing to your own satisfaction.

Qmar 23:13 30 Jan 03

Evesham Vale-- upgrading trade-in options,as part of contract- worth looking at.

so3003 08:40 31 Jan 03

Remember when you get a new pc, you don't *have* to buy a new keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers etc (unless you want better ones), and likewise you can take parts of the old machine (RAM etc) for the new one.

That way all you really need to buy are the bits you want to upgrade from the old one, unless of course the old one is really old...!

TBH1 12:53 31 Jan 03

the time to buy a new PC is the time you need one - - -you will be 'chasing your tail' if you keep waiting; there will always be something better tomorrow so buy today ( whenever today is I guess)

jamesyt 13:19 31 Jan 03

Thanks guys.

It's always the case when you buy a new one, 6 months later it's obsolete. I'm going to wait till the summer and hopefully get a decent spec machine on a budget. By then the processor price will go down and DVD rewriters will be faster and cheaper.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…