New PC Needed - Any Suggestions?

ronroam 23:05 29 Nov 04

I've had a Dell Dimension 4100 for the last four years and think I need a new one that is faster ( I've already got up to the max. 512MB Memory on it).

I mostly use it for the internet but would also like to use one for movies, photography etc.

I see that the Mesh Matrix 64 3500 + BPC and Mesh 64 3200+ SBPC are recommended by PCA but are the Dell models 4600 and 8400 and the supplier support better or worse do you think?

Any helpful advice appreciated.

Cook2 23:19 29 Nov 04

Have a look click here for a Barebones system and just add you old floppy, CD or DVD etc. to it.

ronroam 23:28 29 Nov 04

Thanks Cook2. The prices are very impressive but not sure about my technical capabilities!

Cook2 00:27 30 Nov 04

Don't worry ronroam, one step at a time. It's quite straightforward.

If you decide to go down this route, post here before taking anything apart and you'll get the full instructions from the members.

ronroam 00:34 30 Nov 04

Cheers Cook2. How long would it take a beginner (like me) to put it together?

TomJerry 10:24 30 Nov 04

it is great machine, go for it if you have money, but if you want to spend less, anything around £600 from PCWorld will meet your need.

TomJerry 10:26 30 Nov 04

machine that powerful is normally noisy unless special noise reduction methods have been used. At that price point, I doubt Mesh can use any special (normally expensive) noise reduction methods

Cook2 23:07 30 Nov 04

Sorry about the delay ronroam, I went to France for the day.

Anyway, in answer to your question, a couple of hours or so should do it.

Have both towers open, side by side, spend a minute or two seeing what goes where and then transfer one at a time.

The drives are the ones to the front of the computer and the pci cards are horizontal at the rear. They just pull out, after removing the securing screw, and slot into the new quite easily. Start with the top one and work your way down.

From the floppy, Hard Drive and CD-R's, DVD's there is a power plug and a multipin ribbon.

Your hard drive will be on IDE1 and CD/DVD's on IDE2.

If you have more than one hard drive or CD/DVD's then there is one more thing to think about but as you are new to this I won't complicate matters.

If you prefer to have a more detailed plan, please feel free to click on the little yellow envelope, next to my name, and send an e-mail via PCA.

ronroam 14:46 01 Dec 04

Thanks for the guidance Cook2; it sounds very simple. Stupid question but will all the 'anchors' be already in place in the new tower to fit the cards etc?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…