New PC - Help Please??

Snow_Spy 13:00 03 Jan 05

Hi there & Happy new year! I'm in desperate need of some advice of what the hell to look for when buying a new comp at the mo... I've been thinking of either a laptop or desktop? I've always had a desktop which has usually been a Packard Bell. I'm just wondering the memory specs etc. to look for now? Many thanks.

Forum Editor 13:12 03 Jan 05

to desktop machines these days. They are powerful, fully equipped and of course - portable. This a potent combination indeed; more and more people are considering a laptop as their sole computer.

The problem with laptops has always been one of price - you could get the same specification for a lot less money, provided you were prepared to accept a big metal case and separate monitor sitting on your desk. That's changing, and now it's possible to buy a laptop with a very respectable set of credentials for under £700
click here to see a selection.

In the end it's up to you, a desktop machine will continue to be a good buy, particularly if you're likely to want to upgrade the hardware components, or you're a gaming fiend. Take a look at any of the major manufacturers' web sites to get a feel for what's available. One thing's for sure - there's never been a better time to buy a computer, whether you settle for a laptop or a desktop.

pj123 13:15 03 Jan 05

There are so many different spec computers on the market these days. It really all depends on what you want to use it for (give us a clue) and how much you are prepared to pay. I think we will all recommend the one we have (otherwise, why did we buy it?).

Have a look here click here and click on Systems and/or Bundles. Or even here click here and again try Systems or Bundles.

Here as well will give you lots of info.

click here

Snow_Spy 13:19 03 Jan 05

Thanks a lot for the reply and to be a laptop is appealing to me more at the mo only processor types etc. confuse me more than desktops. I be mainly using it for music downloads and just the internet in general... also playing/copying cd's and dvd's. Out of Curry's, PC World & Comet, where would you say is the best place to buy?

pj123 13:34 03 Jan 05

Again, I don't think there is any difference where you buy it from. Just make sure you know what the specification is and that it will do exactly what you want, plus, of course you are happy with the price. Make a note of the salesperson name and what you were told, in answer to any question you may have asked.

Maverick81 15:30 03 Jan 05

Have a good luck through PC mags , this forum etc etc before making your decision. There are an awful lot of vendors selling pc's and notebooks nowadays so really you are spoilt for choice, most of the notebooks available are all from the same manufacturers in taiwan...and in alot of cases the only difference is the sticker on the lid.

The following vendors will have some good deals no doubt...and im sure if you have any questions about a particulars vendors system their reps on here will be dying to help.

click here
click here
click here
click here
click here
click here

Happy hunting and good luck with your future purchase.

Cheers

Mav

Bleep 15:55 03 Jan 05

I would look to have 512MB of RAM in your new PC, given what you have indicated you will be using it for any modern processor will be fine AMD Athlon,Sempron,AMD64bit Or Intel Celeron,Pentium 4.

In order to get as much for you money do look around for the best deal and aim for a faster processor, however dont get too carried away if your on a budget as spending an extra £200 for a faster processor will do nothing for you in relation to what you are using it for.

click here;jsessionid=e893e58cc21b2fed0fc2731bec9dd0c7?dau7.oid=122&UserCtxParam=0&GroupCtxParam=0&dctx1=17&ctx1=UK&crc=1469313021 click here click here

Snow_Spy 17:14 03 Jan 05

Thanks very much again for the replies and from what some of you have said then I am thinking of something like either of these two?

click here

click here

click here

pj123 17:47 03 Jan 05

Looked at all three of your two links. They all seem to have only 256mb memory. Try and negotiate 512mb memory. Windows XP would be pushing it with only 256mb memory.

wee eddie 18:01 03 Jan 05

That you are to be copying CD's. Legal minefield - none of my business.

However: a Laptop will be useless as you need 2 CD drives (well 1CD and 1DVD will do)

Sans le Sou 19:26 03 Jan 05

I have 2 drives but never copy on the fly, therefor 1 drive is fine for your backups.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…