New PC - Dell or Medion? Advice please

freyabo 19:55 11 Mar 08

Hi Folks,

I'm about to buy a new PC,the first for about 5- 6 years!
I've been scouring this forum (and others) for a while, trying to get up to date with the latest PC specs.
I think that a base unit with an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU and Nvidia 8800GT graphics card would best suit my needs - I use PhotoShop a lot, and I'd also like to have a bash at the latest FPS games ;0

I don't have much of a clue about the other bits like motherboards, PSUs etc. but I'm looking for as much future proofing and upgradability as pos.(arn't we all!)

Money is tight and my budget is only £500ish - £600 at a push

What do you think of this Dell? Not the grx card I want, but I'd be happy to buy the 8800GT, and more memory, from another source:

Vostro™ 400 DT (D034004)
Date & Time: Tuesday 11 March 2008 4:50 AM

SYSTEM COMPONENTS
Vostro™ 400 DT (D034004) Qty 1
Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core Q6600 processor (2.40GHz, 1024MHz, 8MB cache), Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium - English Unit Price £339.00
Catalog Number: 202 D034004
Module Description Show Details
Base Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core Q6600 processor (2.40GHz, 1024MHz, 8MB cache)
Microsoft Operating System Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium - English
Memory 1024MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x512]
Keyboard Dell™ Entry Quietkey USB Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY)
Monitor Monitor Not included
Video Card 256MB ATI® Radeon™ HD 2600 XT graphics card
Hard Drive 500GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive with 16MB DataBurst™ cache
Floppy Drives and Additional Storage Devices 19-in-1 Media Card Reader
Mouse Dell 2 Button USB Optical Mouse
Modem No Modem
Optical Devices 16x DVD +/- RW Drive
Sound Cards Integrated 7.1 Channel High Definition Audio
Speakers No Speakers
Shipping Documents English - Vostro 400 System Docs (UK power cord) & English Adobe
Gedis Bundle Reference D034004
Microsoft Application Software Microsoft® Works 9.0 - English
Standard Warranty 1Yr Basic Warranty - Next Business Day
Enhanced Service Packs 1Yr Basic Warranty - Next Business Day Included - No Upgrade Selected
CompleteCare Declined CompleteCare
Protect your new PC No Security/Anti-Virus Protection - English
Order Information Vostro Desktop Order - UK
Dell System Media Kit Vostro 400 Resource DVD (Diagnostics & Drivers)
Online Promotion Option for GEDIS Configs Dell Internet Order.

TOTAL :£339.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional Discounts and Coupons
Free Shipping
Expires 26 March 2008 View Details

Total excl. VAT VAT Rate Total incl. VAT
Sub-total £339.00 17.50 % £398.33
Total Delivery Charge £51.06 17.50 % £60.00
Delivery Charge Discount -£51.06 17.50 % -£60.00 View Details

Total Price £339.00 £398.33

OR, I could buy the Medion, and upgrade that as and when I could afford.
I'd be happy to sell any bits I don't need from either PC on Ebay.

The Medion is tempting, seems like you get a lot for £500, I'm just not sure about the build quality? Quality of components, etc.

I'll be placing my order, or getting in line outside my local Aldi's, this Thursday

Any advice/help/discount codes ;) appreciated!
Cheers,
Anne

Totally-braindead 20:04 11 Mar 08

I posted about the Medion in the Forum last week and its very good value.
About the Dell. It needs more memory, in my opinion 1 gig is not sufficient it needs 2 if you are going to play games. Not a major problem as RAM is not that dear.

I don't know. If I had the money I would be tempted to get the Medion because its closer to what I would want, it comes with 3 gig of memory and a 8600GT graphics card which is fairly good. I've never had a Medion so am unsure if their build quality is on a par with Dells or not.

freyabo 20:12 11 Mar 08

Sorry, forgot to specify the Medion PC. It is the one discussed in the current thread 'Medion PC at ALDIs soon' started by Totally-braindead :)
(I don't know how to link to it)

These are the specs:

Intel quad core processor Q6600, 3 gig of RAM, 500 gig hard drive, digital and analogue TV tuner and a 8600GT graphics card 256mb. And a wireless keyboard and mouse with Vista Premium -

Cheers,
Anne

citadel 20:24 11 Mar 08

8600gt is obsolete, it has been replced with 9600gt which is much better.

freyabo 20:33 11 Mar 08

Hi Totally-braindead,

Aye, I must say, I am leaning towards the Medion for the very reasons you state. It is close to the spec I'd like, and the price is excellent.

I have question - I use a dual monitor set-up. Its great for PShop - main monitor for photo editing, 2nd monitor for all the tools and palettes, etc. Also great for surfing, I could never go back to just using one monitor.

Will the 8600GT / 8800GT be able to drive 2 monitors? I'd imagine so, its just that I remember I had to fork out loads for a Matrox Parhelia (sp?)dual head card years ago for my, at the time, newish Evesham PC.
I use 2 CRTs, but I have my heart set on this beauty - Benq FP241W 24" Widecreen TFT Monitor 1920x1200 1000:1 500cd/m2 6ms DVI HDMI
- when funds allow! :D

Will the above cards be okay with a dual TFT/CRT set-up?

Thanks.
Anne

freyabo 20:43 11 Mar 08

Thanks for the info, citadel.
I'll look up the 9600gt, see how it compares to the 8800GT

Anne

freyabo 19:25 12 Mar 08

I've decided to buy the Medion, and I've found an excellent Medion/Aldi PCs user forum here

click here

Totally-braindead 22:51 12 Mar 08

One thing worth mentioning assumming all is well with your PC. Before you start adding and altering things check if you get a windows DVD with it. If not make a backup disk. I'm only mentioning that as many PCs come with a hidden partition and no disk and if things go pear shaped down the line you can end up stuck.

Patr100 23:29 12 Mar 08

The Medion weill serve fine. Only problem is they are sold on a first come first served supply basis - you usually have to queue at the store.

jack 08:26 13 Mar 08

Both the discount supermarkets [Aldi & Lidl] work like this on their hardware lines.
As sort of loss leaders a few examples per store and when its gone its gone,
because of this backup/warranty work may be difficult
aaloth three years [lets say] may be on offer- getting the machine somewhere may mean packing it up to send somewhere.
Best to check deeper- I think also some other outlets are getting hold of Medion stuff

click here

click here

freyabo 19:26 13 Mar 08

I did'nt get the Medion, so its back to square one

The nice big fat cheque that was going to pay for the PC should have cleared today, but did'nt.
Apparently cheques for 'large' amounts take longer to clear - I wish I'd been told that when I banked the cheque - *fumes*

I won't get the cash 'til Monday now, by which time all the Medions at my local Aldi will have probably sold out

Ah well, a Dell it is then. At least a Dell will probably be easier to upgrade in the future

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced