New PC Configuration Advice

NeilMcG 17:51 20 Jan 05

First post so please be gentle!!

Have more or less decided on main components for new system This is what I'm thinking of:

Intel P4 3.6 Prescott LGA775
Mainboard: Asus P5GDC Deluxe
Graphics: Sapphire Radeon X800 XT (PCI-EX)
HDD: 300Gb Maxtor DiamondMax 10 SATA
Want a 19" TFT but still unsure of what one to go for.

Any comments, especially with regard to cooling as I believe the Prescott CPU runs fairly hot.

Also I want to have a second HDD (paranoid about backups!). A second SATA would seem to be the way to go, but know feck all about raids & striping & mirrors....

Thanks in advance

Neil

961 19:09 20 Jan 05

Not much into Intel configurations but one thing I would suggest you consider is a USB external hard drive for the second HDD. A bit more expensive but if everything goes west then you've got back up that you can use

So far as TFT monitors go consider what warranty you get if a dead pixel rears its head. There are a number of ways to go, and they are getting more reliable, but it seems to me that if you are paying for 19" then you either want to see it working in a reatail outlet, all pixels working, or, buy one that you can return if it has dead pixels, or, buy cheap, so it's not the end of the world

I did no 3 with LG and got no dead pixels, but if I had paid for something widely regarded as top notch and ended up with trouble, I'd have been mightily miffed

Forum Editor 19:26 20 Jan 05

I am currently using an AOC LM929 monitor, and I'm delighted with it.

Bleep 20:35 20 Jan 05

What and how much RAM is in that beast?

DrScott 22:20 20 Jan 05

I'm not massively convinced by RAID. Basically, in real life there are basically two options - RAID 0 and RAID 1 (though in theory there's also RAID 2,3,4 and 5).

RAID 0 = striped array. Basically your 2 HD act as 1 and access data faster. So 2 200GB HD will be a 400GB HD. Problem is that if 1 drive fails, they both lose the data.

RAID 1 = what RAID is really meant for and is mirrored. Basically, your other drive is a duplicate of the other, so if 1 fails, you have a back up system on the other. However, you need 2 hard drives for the capacity of 1, so it's twice as expensive.

I'm not convinced by the performance gains of RAID0, and RAID1 always seems a bit pricey to me. External is a way to go, or just have 2 internal and save all your important backups onto the other internal drive. They also wouldn't need to be the same size, unlike in a RAID setup.

Nice setup by the way, but pentiums do tend to run hot :) You could try water/liquid-cooled?! BTW click here is a good site for advice...

gobi 22:36 20 Jan 05

Nice setup. One most important thing I feel often neglected is power supply. Not sure about Intel requirement but I would suggest to find a good power supply with at least 17amp on 12V rail.

t.long 13:26 21 Jan 05

Prescotts run hot, if you are self building give carful consideration to the case you will use. Intel have thier ow requirments 'Thermal Advantage' for cases because of the heat Prescotts generate. Many users opp for quite 'extreme' heatsink solutions such as the Cooler Master Hyper 6, or Thermalright XP120.

I was reading an old thread about somone building an anthlon based system. Someone pointed out that by the time he added all the necessary fans to keep it cool a [cooler running] P3 could be cheaper. Of course times change and the siutation is different. An Anthlon 64 is both cheaper than a Prescott and a lot cooler. You can also get PCIe and DDR 2 boards for the Socket 939 interface now as well. Or at least should be by the end of the month.

Some people are Intel fans and some are AMD fans, but its up to you which one is best for your needs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…